Car is sitting high off floor?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

Car is sitting high off floor?

Post by kurkjones »

Might sound weird but compared to other mr2s on this meet.
My Rev 1 is sitting a good 1.5" higher then the others, I know suspension setup was changed through the years but there is a rev2 turbo on the meet and it's damn near stock everything and my car still sits higher.. Cars on the cruise have said when following me my car looks quite bouncy too.
Anyone have any ideas? I've replaced my front shocks this year and rear shock inserts.
Car is a rev1 turbo.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
HighwayStar

Re: Car is sitting high off floor?

Post by HighwayStar »

Get a photo up fella and lets have a look.

Rideheight did indeed reduce through the revs but also original tired saggy springs will drop the car further than new ones. Have yours been refreshed do you know.. or modded?

Have a look in my garage … my rev 1 is on the original springs. Is yours vastly different?

R

PS. Despite what others say does your car feel 'bouncy' to you?
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

rev1s where a bit higher i put black billies with 30-40mm lowered springs on looks just right now :-)
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try uploading a photo.

And to be honest I would say yes the car does feel bouncy, but not firm like it did when I had the Tein springs on.
The standard springs I put back on certainly looked in OK condition, but might well be a bit tired.

Wilkie how much was that suspension setup, black billies?
I'm not keen on lowering the car anymore as the roads on West Scotland are no use for it! :P
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'd say that sits at about the standard rev1 height. The reason yours looks higher? …. Big wheels with consequently very small sidewalls on the tyre. .. it makes the arch gap seem larger by comparison. Also if you put it next to rev3+ cars their colour coded sills and splitters can effectively make them look lower.

PS. Hello Wilkie Snr., been a long time. How goes your rev1? You know I've a 'new' 2 now?
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Yep the first generation sits the highest.
nickz

Post by nickz »

I have a rev1 too and it also appears to sit high.

Do all lowering springs fit all models of rev1 - rev5? ( Don't the rev1's have a different set of shocks? - New to MR2's, so sorry for thread highjacking! )
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

nickz wrote:I have a rev1 too and it also appears to sit high.

Do all lowering springs fit all models of rev1 - rev5? ( Don't the rev1's have a different set of shocks? - New to MR2's, so sorry for thread highjacking! )

Nah nah no bother man. I bought some genuine replacements from MR2 Bitz, and he says that the shocker fitted all rev1-5 models, and when you look at an ebay search "mr2 shock absorber" even manufactures like kyb state that their shocker fits all revs.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”