[Mk2] [Turbo] Decat or gutted cat - turbo

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Decat or gutted cat - turbo

Post by markstevieandmads »

Im in two minds what to do.

I have a blow from my front pipe to cat join some ive bought a new crush gasket for it.

Ive also got a xs decat pipe and support bracket sat in the garage.

Now ive read that the decat pipe is a right PITA to fit and could crack. Ive read i will also need more gaskets depending on how i remove the cat.

Would it be easier to just gut the standard cat while its on the car saving the hassle? Would there be much loss of bhp between a gutted cat and a XS Decat?
2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Decat or gutted cat - turbo

Post by 2mad »

I've got a perfect decat , no wastegate issues (many turbos) .. it had a few welds done from my off but is pukka .. want £60 for it .

Kev.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

2mad wrote:I've got a perfect decat , no wastegate issues (many turbos) .. it had a few welds done from my off but is pukka .. want £60 for it .

Kev.

Ive already got one and will mod the flange before fitting to clear the wastegate if need be.
Just want to know is it worth the hassle of install or just easier to gut the standard cat?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

markstevieandmads wrote:
2mad wrote:I've got a perfect decat , no wastegate issues (many turbos) .. it had a few welds done from my off but is pukka .. want £60 for it .

Kev.

Ive already got one and will mod the flange before fitting to clear the wastegate if need be.
Just want to know is it worth the hassle of install or just easier to gut the standard cat?

Go decat mate ... thats were the extra power comes from ... catback can be from 2.5 to 3" ... power comes from the decat :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Berk decat is the best you can get. It has a flexi in it to prevent cracking. Good quality, and available from gtschris.

XS power is cheap ebay crap, and the stock cat weighs as much as the Titanic. Go for a Berk. :mrgreen:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

My car had a gutted cat on it when it was imported, I only found this out when I removed it to fit the Berk downpipe that is on it now, while the stock turbo elbow is (looks) a lot more restrictive than a berk (probably much less difference with a china spec DP) in real world terms it didn't feel much, if any, different on the road.

Plus points - at a glance it "has a cat" for the mot (let's not get into that argument...) they fit perfectly, it won't crack

At anything up to the max capabilities of the stock turbo/ECU/injectors I think it's be totally fine.

P.s, my gutted cat is for sale, been sat on a shelf in my shed for the best part of 2 years.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah if your rev 3,4,5 guttted cat gets you through an mot ... rev1,2 berk or similars the way forward :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

My rev 3 is a 94 so no mot issues with decat :thumleft:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

BTW there is no horsepower increase by gutting the standard cat if yours is still functioning correctly.

A downpipe will increase horsepower.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

KO racing did dyno tests at 18psi quite a while back that showed a gutted CAT yielded about half the gains of one of their downpipes. I think it was something like 4HP and 15ft.lbs torque increase on the gutted CAT.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Future maintenance is also alot easier with a decat fitted, access wise. I have a berk one fitted with the flexi and bracket. Was a pain to fit but was my first time, I think I could do it again alot easier.

Return to “Modifications”