help and advice on this mr2 (potentially purchasing on Sun)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

auzzam

help and advice on this mr2 (potentially purchasing on Sun)

Post by auzzam »

Hi guys,

First time post. Looking to buy my first mk2. I was wondering if you could help me with advice on the following rev4 turbo... It seems pretty cheap but considering the speedo and mileage doesn't work and its got a few scratches do you think this is a fair price?

Any advice is appreciated. I saw over at imoc a low mileage rev 4 n/a go for £3500 but it was stock and a great example.

The other thing is this car has no road tax and is currently un insured not sure if its worth checking it out?

I cant seem to post a URL as its my first post but the add ID on gumtree.com is : 1135296745 which takes you to the listing.

Thanks in advance

Auzzam[/url]
CalMac

Re: help and advice on this mr2 (potentially purchasing on Sun)

Post by CalMac »

It looks OK, and is indeed quite cheap for a Rev 4 turbo. Seems the owner is being pretty honest I suppose?

If it's nearby just go and have a look, check over the normal stuff you look out for with a used car then go with your gut feeling!
danjama

Post by danjama »

This car was for sale on ebay about 1.5 months ago. If it's been bought and put up again in such a short time, I would be wary.

edit:

saying that, it's the same pics as the original ad and still in Reading, so looks like it never sold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-TOYOTA-M ... true&rt=nc

item: 161810654115
tsango

Post by tsango »

Very odd that the winning bidder didn't buy it at £2050 though.
craig

Post by craig »

It's also a late rev3 turbo, not a rev 4. No airbag on the passenger side dash board.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Well he says the Speedo dont work, now if that don't work every time you boost it it will go into limp mode as ECU wont get speed signal for more than 3secs.

Can be a cheap fix if its just the sender that gone but if its the nylon cog inside the gearbox like mine is its a pretty expensive fix :evil:
danjama

Post by danjama »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Well he says the Speedo dont work, now if that don't work every time you boost it it will go into limp mode as ECU wont get speed signal for more than 3secs.

Can be a cheap fix if its just the sender that gone but if its the nylon cog inside the gearbox like mine is its a pretty expensive fix :evil:

???

The speedo didn't work on my old Rev 2 and it ran/boosted fine.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

danjama wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:Well he says the Speedo dont work, now if that don't work every time you boost it it will go into limp mode as ECU wont get speed signal for more than 3secs.

???

The speedo didn't work on my old Rev 2 and it ran/boosted fine.

If it didnt register speed then would be good to know where you ECU got it speed reading from. It will save mine going into limp mode and can then use GPS
Rob

Post by Rob »

The punt up the rear is the most worrying - the boot lid is pushed in and so is the bumper under the offside light cluster so thats going to be a reasonable shunt. For £2k I wouldn't touch it.
tsango

Post by tsango »

Cog has gone in my gearbox. Not that expensive to fix. Few hundred quid.

Mine never went into limp though....did he say it goes into limp, and is he saying it's due to the speedo??
craig

Post by craig »

Also. Why's it got number plates screwed over the originals? :?
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

deleted
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

tsango wrote:

Cog has gone in my gearbox. Not that expensive to fix. Few hundred quid.

Mine never went into limp though....did he say it goes into limp, and is he saying it's due to the speedo??

The ECU throws an error 42 code which is No Speed signal but only throws up that when you boost it but driving like miss daisy doesn't.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”