Standard exhaust and Downpipe vs Aftermarket parts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Standard exhaust and Downpipe vs Aftermarket parts

Post by mr299ron »

So I've just bought a Japspeed Catback exhaust and Japspeed downpipe for my Rev 2 turbo.

Here is the Japspeed decatted downpipe from MR-2 Ben:

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

With a decent tune would I see some gains from this? I would have thought with a completely unrestricted exhaust system I would see at least 5-10bhp?

Let me know what you guys are running.

Cheers
99ron
mr299ron

Re: Standard exhaust and Downpipe vs Aftermarket parts

Post by mr299ron »

I'm also expecting this to be awesomely loud so...
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

You'd probably see some gains yes as better airflow = efficiency

I've heard alot of negative press about ben so hopefully you get your delivery runs smoothly
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

You can't 'tune' for it on a stock ecu.

You will get more power.
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

Cats pull 2-4 BHP so you'd at least see those gains on stock tune with the exhaust
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Al-sw20 wrote:You can't 'tune' for it on a stock ecu.

You will get more power.

What I meant by that was taking it to a dyno and adjusting boost for maximum efficiency with an EBC! :thumleft:

Cheers
99ron
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

I'm hoping to see at least 10 bhp. I don't know if any of you guys follow CarThrottle on YouTube? One guy is doing an MX5 build, all N/A at the moment, but he made 13bhp with a full system (with cat), a 4-2-1 manifold and CAI.

If I don't make more than that with my *TURBO* car I'm gonna be pi$$ed lol. Yeah he has a far less restrictive manifold, but with reverse chambers in the stock mufflers and a wider diameter throughout the exhaust, there should be some decent gains.

Cheers
99ron
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

ghosty999 wrote:You'd probably see some gains yes as better airflow = efficiency

I've heard alot of negative press about ben so hopefully you get your delivery runs smoothly

I've bought a few things from him already and it all seems well thus far. I'm hoping he keeps up that reputation!

Cheers
99ron
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

You'll defo see gains, to maximize the gains:

1. Pop a pipercross filter into your air box or go full induction kit
2. Run REDEX 500ml Fuel System cleaner on a full tank or go full terraclean (my friend got 6bhp just from doing that alone)
3. Replace vacuum line with heavy duty silicone
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Why do so many people by the Japspeed stuff, its poorly made and i've never seen one that fits correctly. Also they sound terrible [-(
craig

Post by craig »

I had one. It didn't fit properly, so it had to have the crap beaten out of it to clear the subframe. The middle exhaust hanger was miles off, and wouldn't fit.
Last edited by craig on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

RedMr2 no don't say that! I'm sad now! :( Jokes aside, I've heard good stories with some and not others. That just seems to be how everything is with these cars and aftermarket parts. Did you buy the exhaust from eBay or directly from Japseed though?

@Race Idiot - Japspeed is good stuff imo, had experiences with it before. If the Japspeed wasn't half the price as a lot of other stuff though I probably wouldn't have got it. I just can't justify paying £500 for an exhaust, when I can spend £300.

@Ghosty999 - I'm full induction at the moment dude. Blitz sus induction kit is my weapon of choice. Sounds great. Does the Redex stuff actually work? Can anyone back that up? I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter also to help with cleaner fuel.

Cheers
99ron
craig

Post by craig »

mr299ron wrote:RedMr2 no don't say that! I'm sad now! :( Jokes aside, I've heard good stories with some and not others. That just seems to be how everything is with these cars and aftermarket parts. Did you buy the exhaust from eBay or directly from Japseed though?

Only giving my experience with them bud, not hear say. I had one about 7 years ago now. I bought it from Ebay.
Last edited by craig on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Have to agree with Red here.

The japspeed i had.. was rusty.. :shock: yes stainless that rusts.

Wouldn't buy one again.
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

mr299ron wrote:RedMr2 no don't say that! I'm sad now! :( Jokes aside, I've heard good stories with some and not others. That just seems to be how everything is with these cars and aftermarket parts. Did you buy the exhaust from eBay or directly from Japseed though?

@Race Idiot - Japspeed is good stuff imo, had experiences with it before. If the Japspeed wasn't half the price as a lot of other stuff though I probably wouldn't have got it. I just can't justify paying £500 for an exhaust, when I can spend £300.

@Ghosty999 - I'm full induction at the moment dude. Blitz sus induction kit is my weapon of choice. Sounds great. Does the Redex stuff actually work? Can anyone back that up? I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter also to help with cleaner fuel.

Cheers
99ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQN-0zvZNbY

Yes here is an objective test and they guy get's a clear 6 horse power more, even if you only get a couple extra it's still the cheapest gains. I did a Terraclean on my GTI turbo, it ran like new after that, was really surprised, throttle response was improved and mileage went up 4mpg
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

mr299ron wrote:

Well maybe on other cars but every japspeed thing ive seen for the mr2 has been badly made and horrible sounding.

If you cant afford a new exhaust theres always plenty of good used ones on imoc usualy.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

I have Japspeed on mine and a few customers too, They are a crap fit and really loud. You do get what you pay for. Sure it'd be nice to have a Berk or HKS as they fit, last longer and stay shiny. Stick it on, fire it up and P1$$ the neighbours off. Enjoy! :thumleft:

Don't forget you WILL need a hammer to fit it!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I have a japspeed and never needed a hammer to fit it. In fact it went on pretty easy and lines up correctly :-k It's een on the car now for around 5 years and hardly any rust on it but then i do autosol it quiet often. Perhaps getting on your back with a tube of Autosol is the answer to stop it rusting :lol:

As for the noise, it's not to bad unless your sat on motorway doing 50-60mph then the drone does make your ears ring after around 50 odd miles.
rgb

Post by rgb »

I have to drive a fiesta cause I start work early but the gf needed four seats so I went to work in the mr2 .I was trying to be quiet but when I started it up it set someones alarm off. when you floor an mr2 with a japspeed its like taking off down the runway in a plane. its fun if you've got no neighbours.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

rgb wrote:I have to drive a fiesta cause I start work early but the gf needed four seats so I went to work in the mr2 .I was trying to be quiet but when I started it up it set someones alarm off. when you floor an mr2 with a japspeed its like taking off down the runway in a plane. its fun if you've got no neighbours.

Hahaha this is awesome. Well I can always start the car and crawl down and out of my road, and then park in a layby which is not far, sit there whilst it warms up a little then go on my way.

It'll be fine... :p

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”