How bad does this look compared to other mk2s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Angpozzuto

How bad does this look compared to other mk2s

Post by Angpozzuto »

Hi guys
I recently suspected that that my rear arches were looking a bit rusty so decided to spend an afternoon removing my rear bumper and I found this disaster waiting for me.

I was just wondering how difficult it would be / is it worth doing a repair to this and how it bad it is compared to other peoples cars
2mad

Re: How bad does this look compared to other mk2s

Post by 2mad »

Ouch thats pretty bad .. sure a descent welder could sort it .. i mean for the most part its hidden .. some spats would hide the repair if its not to pretty ..

Bad times mate .. hows the rest of the car 8-[
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

pretty standard for something that lives outside and is driven year round. not too big of a fix ( I spy a clarke MIG welder in your garage) if you can be bothered.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:I spy a clarke MIG welder in your garage) if you can be bothered.

Good eye Rob :thumleft:
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

To be fair the bodywork is a bit rough all round and the Sills definitely need some attention but I'm not going to cut them open until I've sorted the arches out otherwise It might start to get a bit daunting. As for the mig welder I've only had it for a week and only got around to playing with it yesterday on an old boot lid. I must say welding looks a lot easier than it is lol. I've got some sheet metal coming next week so I can have a go at putting it right. I Think this would be a good time to start a build thread.
craig

Post by craig »

Not beyond the realms of fixable. I've seen MK2s with most of that missing around the vent! :shock:
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

What purpose do those vents have do they have to be kept as it would make fabricating the replacement panel a lot easier[/list]
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I believe they're to ventilate the boot and potentially reduce moisture inside
dazzy

Post by dazzy »

The vents allow the displacement of air when you close the boot lid.
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

So do I need to keep them
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Angpozzuto wrote:So do I need to keep them

Try to .. but i dont think is the end of the world if you dont 8-[
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Hi guys
I need a bit more help. I've spent my day trying to cut away all the rusty bits around my rear arch and I've found more rot going over the top of the wheel arch and starting to show on the outside of the arch. what would be the best way to repair this.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Dont want to be harsh but is quite bad .. sweet talk a welder and get it sorted before it gets worse man .
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

The more I look at this car the worse it gets. I've just cut open the sills and found metal stuck to the original sill with around 4mm of filler on top. I Really don't want to give up on this car but I think it's seen 1 bodge too many

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Speek to a welder and get him/her on your side mate .
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Dont give up on the car is not that bad .
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Thanks for the encoragment I'm chill out a bit this evening and go at it again tomorrow with a clear head
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Trying to forget how bad my rust is
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I had an xjs that looked mint!
Anyway for one reason or another I had to repair a piece of bodywork underside, radius arm mounting point.
So i began to cut and cut and cut and so it went on, as i didnt want to weld to anything bad.

I couldn't weld yet and had never done body/panel work, anyway bought a welder,watched vids on welding, got a old bonnet froma scrapper i go too (free from mr scrap :thumleft: as it was all dented) and cut holes in it and practiced.

Anyway the moral of this story was sometimes what appear to be a good car sometimes isn't, especially when someone previous has tried to hide it.
The other thing is,eventually i got there,learnt a lot in the process and learnt some good skills.
It aint easy tho.
Dont rush it, if you tackle it your self.

P.s.
Start of cutting out,then you can make carboard templates out of anything, i used to raid all the households cereal boxes :lol: and if your trying to fabricate large difficult shaped area's make them up out of several smaller pieces and tack them all together :lol: , you can seam weld them later running lots of small tacks into each other.
That way if your a novice you wont burn thru the metal.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:I had an xjs that looked mint!
Anyway for one reason or another I had to repair a piece of bodywork underside, radius arm mounting point.
So i began to cut and cut and cut and so it went on, as i didnt want to weld to anything bad.

I couldn't weld yet and had never done body/panel work, anyway bought a welder,watched vids on welding, got a old bonnet froma scrapper i go too (free from mr scrap :thumleft: as it was all dented) and cut holes in it and practiced.

Anyway the moral of this story was sometimes what appear to be a good car sometimes isn't, especially when someone previous has tried to hide it.
The other thing is,eventually i got there,learnt a lot in the process and learnt some good skills.
It aint easy tho.
Dont rush it, if you tackle it your self.

P.s.
Start of cutting out,then you can make carboard templates out of anything, i used to raid all the households cereal boxes :lol: and if your trying to fabricate large difficult shaped area's make them up out of several smaller pieces and tack them all together :lol: , you can seam weld them later running lots of small tacks into each other.
That way if your a novice you wont burn thru the metal.

Great advice .. yeah it sucks how much rust you have .. spin it into a positive and learn a new skill .. cheep welding unit from ebay , some sheet metal n crack on :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”