Engine support with box off

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Engine support with box off

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Has anyone got any good methods of stopping sideways movement on the engine when it's supported only by the side engine mount, drivers side?

I need to undo my flywheel bolts and I fear too much persuasion and the engine will come off the jack it's currently supported by, underneath..

Cheers
kaiowas

Re: Engine support with box off

Post by kaiowas »

A decent sized jack with a large head on it has never been a problem for me (resting on the gearbox end of the sump with a block of wood in between.)

If you're really worried about movement or if your jack is small enough that the engine is balanced a bit precariously then I guess you could use a sturdy length of wood (at least a couple of feet or so long) under the same part of the sump running front to rear supported at each end with an axlestand/jack/pile of bricks or whatever is to hand.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi,

I'm currently having a bracket fabricated to bolt to the rear gearbox mount then through a bell-housing bolt hole to try to reduce movement.

I have the Toyota jack with a block of wood under the flywheel, while another jack has a piece of wood across the width of the bottom end of engine in-between main bearings.

It's just a bit concerning from a safety point of view that even undoing the clutch plate bolts, made the engine move quite considerably :(
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

Scaffold pole over the engine bay and a chain onto the engine hook. Might not restrict the movement in the way you want, but the engine wont drop.
Smallport 4AGTE

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”