Power steering issue

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SpamDubz

Power steering issue

Post by SpamDubz »

I washed my 2 the other day and now my power steering and speedo are faulty. The power steering now only works for a minute or two from when the car is started. You can hear the pump running then it just dies. The speedo has just point blank stopped working.

I've investigated the power steering issue and so far I've checked the relay and the connections on top, cleaned them up. I've checked all 4 brushes on the pump, they were all spot on. I've tried plugging my diagnostics into it but it won't let me connect to the EHPS section so I can't read a code. I've taken the relay control ECU out and took the circuit board out to check for dry or corroded connections. That's fine also. I'm not really too sure where to go next or what I need to buy.

The speedo issue I haven't actually investigated yet but any input would be useful.

Thanks,

Dan.
Marty J

Re: Power steering issue

Post by Marty J »

Have you checked the power steering fluid level ?
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

have you shorted out the 2 bolt contacts under the black cap on the power steering relay ??

The relay is located in the front trunk on the right hand side has 2 thick wires going to it white and black from memory (possibly also pink and light blue) and 2 smaller ones which turn it on, pull the back cap off to see the contact terminals and with ignition on short out the 2 large contacts (or unplug thick wire connector and jumper the connector with thick bit of wire) if pump runs new relay needed.

Relay is sealed so can't be taken apart for cleaning, DOH !

You will need to remove the spare wheel and the black shroud plastic to see it, pretty much straight behind the relay are 2 boxes, one silver and one black these are the power steering control unit (black) and the pump motor drive unit (larger silver one)

Mine did this, bought an new relay and all was good.

Not sure about your other issue thou.

Hope this may help
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Water in speedometer sensor plug?

Problem most likely has nothing to do with PAS system.
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

Mr2madlad, I've already tried that with the relay, I've also taken apart the black box to see if any water was in there. The relay is fine and so is the black box.

I assume the power steering must need a speed signal so if the speedo is gone the power steering will go with it. I took the speedometer off the box yesterday. The tab that has the bolt going through that holds it on was broke anyways. Then when I got it off the pin that goes into the box was seized. So tried getting it undone and the metal was super soft and just crumbled. So need a new one of those anyway. Hoping it sorts my issue.

Cheers.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

SpamDubz wrote:

I assume the power steering must need a speed signal so if the speedo is gone the power steering will go with it.

Cheers.

No, my speedo hasnt worked for ages and my power steering is working fine. The only prob i have is it throws up engine light as ECU doesn't get a signal for over 3secs when i have a heavy right foot.

Now have you checked the indicator stalks? As thats where it also gets a signal from for PS. I had same fault as you, worked for a few mins then stopped i replaced most things and finally indicator stalks and worked ever since.
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

Yeah mine also throws up a code as well.

Oh okay I never thought of that. My indicator stalks are pretty rubbish anyways, the indicators never stay on when I need them too so I'll be getting 2 birds with one stone if that's the case. Thanks alan2turbo :thumleft:

Dan.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

SpamDubz wrote:Yeah mine also throws up a code as well.

Oh okay I never thought of that. My indicator stalks are pretty rubbish anyways, the indicators never stay on when I need them too so I'll be getting 2 birds with one stone if that's the case. Thanks alan2turbo :thumleft:

Dan.

To be pedantic, the part alan is referring to is the steering sensor. Whilst it bolts to the stalk assembly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the stalks. It senses rotation of the steering column and outputs the signal to the PAS ECU.

Testing procedure is in the BGB.
SpamDubz

Post by SpamDubz »

Okay that makes sense, may get stalks at the same time as it might all have to come off anyways. Thanks Peter

Dan.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”