[Mk2] [NA] Replacing my door, how difficult is rebuilding a bare door?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hans-Rev3

[Mk2] [NA] Replacing my door, how difficult is rebuilding a bare door?

Post by hans-Rev3 »

Due to rust I'm planning on replacing my door, I've finally sourced one in the correct colour at a decent price but I can get a discount if I have it bare i.e. minus window, door card, electronics etc. which I would then replace with my own parts.

I've done a couple in the past on different cars and I don't enjoy it, but without the window frame on the MR2 it looks easier.

Has anyone done one and can comment on it? Is there any sort of interchangeability issues between different years/imports?

I just need to measure it up and see if it would fit in the boot!
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Replacing my door, how difficult is rebuilding a bare door?

Post by synXero »

The earliest cars didn't have crash bars in the doors I believe. There is also a difference in the side mouldings between jap and non Jap cars. I think.

My only concern would be don't hang and align the door without the weight of the window etc in it - or it might sag when you fit all that stuff in.
Draven

Post by Draven »

The door won't fit in the boot of MR2..
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Is the discount to get it barelikely to be worth it considering the added hassle?
hans-Rev3

Post by hans-Rev3 »

Is the discount to get it barely likely to be worth it considering the added hassle?

I'm still waiting to hear on a price difference, I'm thinking that when I'm in the middle of doing I wouldn't think it was worth it, its cheap as it is really.

The door won't fit in the boot of MR2..

](*,) Damn, I'll have to take the boring car then. Fancied a nice drive in the MR2.

difference in the side mouldings between jap and non Jap cars

Didn't know about that, thanks! Good idea on hanging it with everything already in, not sure I would have thought of that,

thanks for your help, pretty much made my mind up I'll take it complete then. Although I will have to change the door lock anyway.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I replaced a smashed window in the drivers door of my old 2.

That one then smashed because it wasnt mounted right and something had broke on it causing it to misalign.

I ended trying a third time and all was ok then.

I wouldnt recommend it unless you want the hassle.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I changed my NS door a couple of weeks ago - it's a PITA :lol:

As long as you keep track of all the bolts and fixings you'll be ok, but I'd recommend having a friend to help balance/support while you hang it - maybe even prop the door on an axle stand with towel on or similar to protect the bottom edge paint.

Getting to all the window fixings once the glass is in the door is probably the trickiest part - you need small Japanese hands for this..

Return to “Mechanical”