[Mk2] [NA] Fitting aftermarket manifold with the engine in

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lcfcdan

[Mk2] [NA] Fitting aftermarket manifold with the engine in

Post by Lcfcdan »

Had a search but I can't seem to see an answer, has anyone got any experience/tips for removing standard manifold and fitting an aftermarket manifold whilst the engine is still in? Is it even possible as don't want to attempt it myself if it isn't... Looks relatively hard to do so any help or pointers appreciated :)
jakeymears

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Fitting aftermarket manifold with the engine in

Post by jakeymears »

Is this for Exhaust or Intake ?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Removing exhaust manifold is quite easily done while it is in the car. The intake is a little harder. But yes they can both be removed whilst engine is in.

fyi if it is an ebay stainless one. I wouldn't hold out much hope of it lasting a long time.
Lcfcdan

Post by Lcfcdan »

Yes it's the exhaust manifold, the car came with a Decat Backbox but the manifold is still original. I've yet to look for one yet, what brands are recommended? I'm not really into buying an unbranded one unless it's custom made! Also, is it just a case of unbolting it then and bolting the new one in place? Relatively new to Mr2 work. I know that for my fiesta to do it with the engine in you have to take apart the firewall or undo the engine mounts and rock it and pull. Neither of which are very good!
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Bear in mind the eBay manifolds I believe are rev1/2 only, I searched for a while just to get a bit more noise from my blueflame but gave up trying to find a rev3+
Lcfcdan

Post by Lcfcdan »

Mikey637 wrote:Bear in mind the eBay manifolds I believe are rev1/2 only, I searched for a while just to get a bit more noise from my blueflame but gave up trying to find a rev3+

Yeah I'm Rev 2, I'm ideally looking for a good brand second hand, can't say I trust the run of the mill eBay manufactured ones, I would rather stay standard and not have the bother of changing it for something that will just cause problems
ashley

Post by ashley »

Just stick with the stock manifold- they're nicely designed, if you want to lose some weight then remove the two chunks of iron that act as supporting brackets between the downpipes and the block :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Lcfcdan wrote:
Mikey637 wrote:Bear in mind the eBay manifolds I believe are rev1/2 only, I searched for a while just to get a bit more noise from my blueflame but gave up trying to find a rev3+

Yeah I'm Rev 2, I'm ideally looking for a good brand second hand, can't say I trust the run of the mill eBay manufactured ones, I would rather stay standard and not have the bother of changing it for something that will just cause problems

fyi.. the standard manifold is really rather good. In order to get a decent stainless one as good you'll need to spend £1000+

Personally i'd keep it where it is and lose weight else where. You also won't get any power increase from the SS mainfold on an NA
Lcfcdan

Post by Lcfcdan »

I'll probably do that then, thanks guys, it will save me money which is a bonus, the car only cost me £200 so I didn't want to be spending more on the manifold than the car :wink:

Return to “Modifications”