Petrol tank removal

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Oortam

Petrol tank removal

Post by Oortam »

We're trying to get the petrol tank out to replace the fuel pump and fix the fuel guage as we already have the engine out. One of the lines is proviong difficult as we can't seperate it. I've attached a couple of pictures of the junction that is proving difficult. You can see that the smaller nut head is starting to round off. I don't want to keep going and muck it up completely. Any ideas on how to seperat the lines? I've looked at pulling off the rubber hose just before the junction but it seems to have an inner hose connected to the larger nut head.

Image[/URL]

[/img]Image

The line in question is the one that travels along the chassis member before going up to the right.
C35Rob

Re: Petrol tank removal

Post by C35Rob »

that line connects to the bottom of the fuel filter.

remove the line from the bottom of the fuel filter, it's also attached to the bulkhead by two small brackets.. you can then (carefully!!) manipulate it out in one piece.

or.. just cut it and then replace it, bearing in mind that that is the pressure side so you'l need to replace the whole thing, i.e the pump carrier and its attached line plus the line from the union to the fuel filter.
cosmos

Line separation

Post by cosmos »

Molegrips for more purchase?
MartinF

Re: Line separation

Post by MartinF »

cosmos wrote:Molegrips for more rounding?

Fixed that for ya :D

As Rob says disconnect from the fuel filter and try to take it out as one. I recently had the same problem but luckily I was replacing the whole fuel pump assembly as I had a spare so could just cut the rigid line.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Funnily i took my tank out yesterday, as has been said unbolt it from the filter and bulkhead and it will come out with the tank
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

Thanks chaps, hadn't thought about disconnecting at the fuel filter ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”