Yokahoma tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Doobie

Yokahoma tyres

Post by Doobie »

A place near me has some yokahoma s-drives going cheap, what's people's thoughts on them? Mines in desperate need of new rears
Johnr32

Re: Yokahoma tyres

Post by Johnr32 »

Have them on a rs clio and they seem very decent for their price, its grippy in the dry but never really pushed it in the wet so dont know how they handle. Have you tried fk452? They seem rated on here and ive had them on my tubby which were excellent all round.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Ignore double post
Last edited by Johnr32 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doobie

Post by Doobie »

Cheers John,

I've never had Yoko's on any car I've owned, so bit of a gamble but I'll take it... As soon as I find my locking wheel nut key :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Had them on my '2 when I first bought it. Mediocre at best
em1_matt

Post by em1_matt »

Had them on my integra type R. They are medium to alright for daily use. One thing I have learnt is never skimp on tyres, go all out. Or atleast as far as you can.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

When I'm was due a new set of rears on my tubby I did some research looking for the best tyres that suited my needs on their ratings in tyre tests. At the time I'm personally chose sports contact 3's, which by coincidence my Mrs had on her Renault clio sport. Excellent in the wet. If could still get them for my tubby earlier this year whatever the standard front and rear 17's are. But I'm had to get sports contact 5's for the clio and not considered as good by some, but still good especially in the wet.

What I'm getting at is good is relative, good all round or track and so on. But don't buy cheap long lasting tyres the hard compound gives you no wet grip at all imo.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

Yokohama advan neova.. Then your talking.. Best tyre ive ever driven on... In the dry atleast. Never really pushed the 2 in the wet.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

Marf wrote:Had them on my '2 when I first bought it. Mediocre at best

The more I think about what Marf said I'd say avoid and get better tyres for your dollar.
Marf

Post by Marf »

dansREV2turbo wrote:Yokohama advan neova.. Then your talking.. Best tyre ive ever driven on... In the dry atleast. Never really pushed the 2 in the wet.

They're blinding in the wet too, and the cold. Best all round summer tyre IMO
MrSpleen

Post by MrSpleen »

I can highly recommend the Maxxis MAZ1 Victra tyres I run 235's front and 255's rear and they are superb just drop pressures down to 26 front 28 rear.

Bonus is there a good price!

I know a friend who loves the Yoko Advan ao48's on his race cars though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”