gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Post by Ryan S »

ok, so after selling my blitz ecu I was sent one on loan that turned out to be a dud, I did a couple of miles with this ecu and the car ran terrible, over fuelling really badly. tried the blitz back on it, no issue at all, anyway, get's another rev3 tubby ecu and car won't start and reeks of fuel, eventually it starts but won't rev properly or drive properly, took out the plugs and of course they are completely black, then I bent my plug key so only managed to change 2. the car still struggles to start then pops and bangs when revved etc....Also, 2 of the plug wells are filled with oil so new rocker cover gasket needed. So frustrating as the car has been faultless the whole time I've had it :(

Gonna get the plugs changed tomorrow and check for error codes at the same time.

Rant over :(
Last edited by Ryan S on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
taxman2014

Re: gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Post by taxman2014 »

Eek. Must be gutted. Especially with the cold weather. Not the perfect weather to be standing outside tinkering with your motor.

Anyways, read the build of your 2' and felt a weird sense of pride and achievement when I saw the finished motor... :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ach, i'm fairly sure the plugs are the problem, it cannot possibly be another dud ECU!! No engine management light though so that's good :lol:

Cheers man, doing the engine next anyway so hopefully this issue is something simple :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Riiiiiight, So, No error codes, plugs changed, I have spark, I can smell fuel. car won't start.....

Anyone got any ideas?? The ECU is on loan from a member and is the 2nd one I've been loaned, The first was a dud, this one surely cannot be a dud as well. Help needed :lol: :lol:
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

Remove efi fuse turn car over until all fuel is out of the chambers. It may run and then die from lack off fuel. Put fuse back in and try to start.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

doogal44 wrote:Remove efi fuse turn car over until all fuel is out of the chambers. It may run and then die from lack off fuel. Put fuse back in and try to start.

bu88er, I knew there was something along those lines I could try, I;m away from the car now too!! I'll give that a go tomorrow, I did think the car was severly flooded, It did manage to start yesterday and idled for ages but it wouldn't drive properly at all. It wouldn't start after idling or driving either :(

Not without a lot of cranking and persuation :( Just to add, I tried a working rev3 ECU off a friends car the other night too and it ran fine.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

right, wondering got the better of me so I went back down to work and tried the EFI fuse, made no difference whatsoever, cranked the car for a good few minutes (on and off) then put the fuse back in, car immediately reeked of fuel again and wouldn't fire :(
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

This sounds really similar to what I'm going through.
Last night my car wouldn't start, with no prior warnings. Eventually after 5 minutes of cranking it did fire and seemed to idle and rev, freely and normally. Left my street and within 100 metres it started spluttering and cutout, I flattened the battery trying to crank it, so towed it home a couple hours later, and it then started fine.

Had a couple of splutters this morning, then a couple of cutouts this evening, then on my way home I was getting more spluttering and hesitation, and a couple of bangs, then it cutout and I walked home.

Engine bay reeks of fuel when cranking, getting a spark. Totally clueless, so getting it checked over tomorrow.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

that does sound pretty much the same thing man, my coil and plugs are new, I'm getting a decent spark too, the only thing different is the ECU, i'm gonna have to try another just to get the niggling feeling out my head. I've never had any running issues with the car until changing the ECU :(
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

just throwing it out because of what you've said;

If you can plug the Blitz ECU back in each time and then it runs fine could it be the wiring pins been changed the blitz ecu?
I cant believe you have had two dud ECU's that's why i sat that.

Do you know if anything else is done to the car? Cams, injector size? timing perhaps?
all a bit of guess work as i dont know what changes the Blitz ECV does
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

killerferret666 wrote:just throwing it out because of what you've said;

If you can plug the Blitz ECU back in each time and then it runs fine could it be the wiring pins been changed the blitz ecu?
I cant believe you have had two dud ECU's that's why i sat that.

Do you know if anything else is done to the car? Cams, injector size? timing perhaps?
all a bit of guess work as i dont know what changes the Blitz ECV does

I ran it fine with a rev3 ecu off a friends car, this is a known working rev3 ecu as he was in the car when we met up. the only thing that has been changed is the ecu and now the plugs :( Wiring is deffo the same :(

Just to add to this quickly, the first ECU was suspect anyway, Quibble on here who loaned me it was unsure if it was working, that ECU had wires coming out of it going into a box, it did run the car but made it overfuel terribly, then the car wouldn't start with that ecu at all. I put on the next ecu and it still wouldn't start. I also don't believe it's another dud ECU but I would like to rule it out by trying it on another car, or another ECU on my own car.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

sheppy wrote:
doogal44 wrote:
Not without a lot of cranking and persuation :( Just to add, I tried a working rev3 ECU off a friends car the other night too and it ran fine.

You've answered your own question.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
sheppy wrote:
doogal44 wrote:

You've answered your own question.

I know I know, but 2 gubbed ECUs??

also, there's a bit more to it than that, as I said in the above post, the "known dud ecu" stopped running the car at all. the next ecu did start it and let it idle and even drive but it drove terribly, now it doesn't start at all. in fact, much the same symptoms as the first ecu except no EML.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

But you've had it working with a known good ECU from a friends car?

As alanmr2turbo said, you've solved the problem there. I know it seems unlikely that both ECU's were dead, but you have to bear in mind even the youngest MR2 ECU is now 15 years old at least.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gazza_DJ wrote:But you've had it working with a known good ECU from a friends car?

As alanmr2turbo said, you've solved the problem there. I know it seems unlikely that both ECU's were dead, but you have to bear in mind even the youngest MR2 ECU is now 15 years old at least.

I have yeah, it worked with the Blitz and with the known to be working one, It was another member on here (Fozzy) who sent me his which was believed to be working, I'm going to try another ECU, frustratingly I'm going to have to buy it (from Gullzter) and see if it works.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

right, another ECU on it's way. as far as anyone knows this ECU is in perfect working order. i'm gonna take the plugs out the car, pull the EFI fuse and crank it over to get any fuel out of the cylinders. then try the new ECU. If this doesn't work i may need a box of matches. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

It does seem all things point to the ECU for you Sheppy. Let us know how you get on with the next one. I went round to my car this morning and it started and ran fine, but now the rev counter is dead! Takin it to a garage me thinks.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:It does seem all things point to the ECU for you Sheppy. Let us know how you get on with the next one. I went round to my car this morning and it started and ran fine, but now the rev counter is dead! Takin it to a garage me thinks.

Yeah, after reading back through this post it does appear to be blidndingly obvious that it's the ECU :( New one on it's way so I'll keep this updated :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

sheppy wrote:
Ginjaninja92 wrote:It does seem all things point to the ECU for you Sheppy. Let us know how you get on with the next one. I went round to my car this morning and it started and ran fine, but now the rev counter is dead! Takin it to a garage me thinks.

Yeah, after reading back through this post it does appear to be blidndingly obvious that it's the ECU :( New one on it's way so I'll keep this updated :thumleft:

If you've still got the suspect ECU's, open them up and inspect the board, I wouldn't be surprised to see a burst capacitor or something.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
sheppy wrote:

If you've still got the suspect ECU's, open them up and inspect the board, I wouldn't be surprised to see a burst capacitor or something.

i opened the first one (with owners permission) and couldn't see anything, it did have the chip attached though which I carefully removed, it made no difference to running at all. I'll inspect it a bit further. I'd love to be able to fix them both so I could return them as working, :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”