Bringing your MR2 into the new year and the 21st century

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RazzyRascal

Bringing your MR2 into the new year and the 21st century

Post by RazzyRascal »

As the title suggests, what have you guys done to your cars to 'modernise' them a little and get them looking a bit more up to date and current?

Having sorted my pressing mechanical issues and flying through an mot I'm now looking to 'freshen' the car up a bit.

This could be anything from upgrading the wiper arms and blades to swapping out your orange side lights for clears.

I'm after inspiration and inside information on any mod hacks that might be out there, however big, small or insignificant :)

Include photos if you can and try to stay on topic :thumleft:
Odin_S

Re: Bringing your MR2 into the new year and the 21st century

Post by Odin_S »

Whatever you do don't put aero wiper blades on -.- or flippers as I called them, they look so crap.

I would just but Rev 4 side lights if you like them and Rev 3+ rear lights. Freshens up the car no end.
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

I remember reading on here a while back something about using some Volvo arms and washers. Could be wrong as it was a long time ago. I'll avoid the aeros then :)

Yes the lights are definitely next on my agenda, my stocks are so dim I almost can't see lol. I think clear sides and raybrig headlights with Osrams in the mains and maybe cree's in the sides If poss. As for the rears. I like the rev1/2 rear clusters so I'll keep them.

I want to upgrade bits, but still keep that early 90's retro 'charm' :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Border rear spats/skirts, Bomex front bumper, got rid of the toblerones and fitted gen7 Celica clear side repeaters and clear rev4 front lenses:

thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Raybrigs and Wolfie308 clear sections for either generation rears make a big difference, I once saw these but never found anything else out about them but I think they look alot more sleek

matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

RazzyRascal wrote:As for the rears. I like the rev1/2 rear clusters so I'll keep them.

These look great =P~
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182797
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

once saw these but never found anything else out about them but I think they look alot more sleek

I think that was a Mitsubishi GTO headlight conversion.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

That's the rev3 version of wolfie's clear rears
ashley

Post by ashley »

Drive by wire and a modern turbo :eye:
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

matt-mr2 wrote:
RazzyRascal wrote:As for the rears. I like the rev1/2 rear clusters so I'll keep them.

These look great =P~
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182797

I saw those earlier Matt. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very impressed. Is wolfie still producing the clear lenses?

As for the front lense in thomps picture - that's what I'm talking about, it just brings the whole front of the car up to scratch. Especially as I'm one of those sad blokes that drives with the lights up lol.

As for the skirts and bumpers etc, i'm trying to stay fairly OEM looking on the outside. I'm going for the 'that looks good but I can't put my finger on it' look lol. However I do have a soft spot for a good autopista spoiler or a nice aeroware front lip :twisted:

Very excited for the new year and cracking on with it (going away on holiday for Xmas in a week)
Nic

Post by Nic »

S2000 aerial

2012 Yaris leather steering wheel.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nails

Post by Nails »

You can't really bring it up to date looks wise. It was designed in the late 80s and looks the way it should. Personally I love the toblerones and orange indicators. Same with the pop lights etc its all part.of the appeal. The clear rears are vile.
RazzyRascal

Post by RazzyRascal »

Nic - that's what I'm talking about. These little hacks that just tidy things up. The steering wheel looks great, and who would have thought a Yaris would be the doner? What actually works on the controls? Presumably if you took the Yaris head unit it could all be wired up?

I like the idea of the momo wheels but, no offence intended, I've always thought they were just too aftermarket looking and, forgive me, a little boy racerish. Though I do appreciate the practical reasons for having one.

As for the aerial. If I didn't love the quirky stock pop up then that's also a sensible alternative :)

Nails - each to their own mate. I wasn't suggesting transforming the car, more updating the parts that are now in need of a refresh. As I suggested earlier; wipers, headlights etc.
JD

Post by JD »

I have done absolutely nothing. I like it being representative of 1994. I like not feeling any embarassment or shame whatsoever when some TDI pub-talk keyboard warrior shouts me down on Pistonheads for driving "a twenty-year-old toyota m8!" 8)

I'm probably gonna get rid of the modern stereo as well because I never listen to it. Anyone got a spare OEM blanking plate? :lol:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JD wrote:I have done absolutely nothing. I like it being representative of 1994. I like not feeling any embarassment or shame whatsoever when some TDI pub-talk keyboard warrior shouts me down on Pistonheads for driving "a twenty-year-old toyota m8!" 8)

I'm probably gonna get rid of the modern stereo as well because I never listen to it. Anyone got a spare OEM blanking plate? :lol:

Yeah i'd rather not modernise it, I like the idea that my car wouldnt look out of place terrorising japanese mountain roads in the late 90s.

Obviously not everything is going to be period correct, like the headunit but nothing beats the simplicity of a basic jap interior, recaro seats and a nice nardi wheel.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

I think this thread just goes to show theres not many genuine clean/tidy MR2's about.
Jam

Post by Jam »

Some of these mods are great and really tempting for mine, but I also want to keep it completely original. Would love to change the side incidators to clear but the orange ones are the originals. I've even left the original Toyota tape player in place!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rev3turbo wrote:I think this thread just goes to show theres not many genuine clean/tidy MR2's about.

hahahaha, whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!? There's loads of great cars on this site!

massive sweeping generalisation!!!
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
rev3turbo wrote:I think this thread just goes to show theres not many genuine clean/tidy MR2's about.

hahahaha, whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!? There's loads of great cars on this site!

massive sweeping generalisation!!!

Don't feed the troll.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”