Does anybody know this car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Does anybody know this car?

Post by Tsia »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-GT ... 35dfdf2c90

Despite it being ugly as sin, I think it could be pretty decent with a proper (Border) bumper on the front of it. £4400 minimum asking price and it has been on eBay for weeks now. It makes me wonder why it hasn't sold already.

Anybody know?

Cheers
2mad

Re: Does anybody know this car?

Post by 2mad »

I quite like it Tsia .. would look better with a border front bumper :thumleft:
Bmf_doherty

Post by Bmf_doherty »

Hey Tsia,

I've spoke to him a while back, like you say he has had this car on eBay awhile on and off, he had answers to my questions but they would slightly change every time... :-k

Can't remember the original reason for sale he told me, but now it's because he's moving?! Hmmmm

I didn't feel comfortable, so like they say I walked away...

Be interesting to see who buys it and what becomes of it...

Just my 2p
Ben
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

this has been on for months not weeks, the reason it's not selling is because the price is far too high. it was listed for £4995.

it's a cat C write off and the repairs were done by Banned trader (Shahiiid Mirza). I would assume a 18 year old car has more than 60,000 miles on it as well. May not be the case but there's no mention of anything to back this up, now, if you or i had one with only 60k on the clocks, would you not mention the MOTs backing up this claim?? both my turbos have had every single MOT since imported.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Guess I was looking at it with rose tinted glasses - pretty eager to have an MR2 again! :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:this has been on for months not weeks, the reason it's not selling is because the price is far too high. it was listed for £4995.

it's a cat C write off and the repairs were done by Banned trader (Shahiiid Mirza). I would assume a 18 year old car has more than 60,000 miles on it as well. May not be the case but there's no mention of anything to back this up, now, if you or i had one with only 60k on the clocks, would you not mention the MOTs backing up this claim?? both my turbos have had every single MOT since imported.

Well done shep .. glad someones looking out for us . I quite liked it .. I would probably have been fooled ](*,)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

everything i've said is in the description guys except the length of time it's been on there. The mileage could be genuine but i highly doubt it! They are still in KMs though!! Cat c write off simply isn't worth £4400.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

This was local to me however was sold about a month ago to this chap now who is re-selling it, based in or around Bournemouth now I think.

The previous seller was based in Bradford and I saw it driving about and although never seen it up close - from a distance it did look well...!

I'm pretty sure it had MR2OC stickers on it before so may be worth while asking on there if anyone knew the previous owner(s)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My bad folks, i didn't know it changed hands, i seriously hope the current seller hasn't paid £4995 for it, that is ludicrous!! He is about to take a serious hit on this if he really wants to sell it, granted it does look pretty clean in the pictures but it's still a cat c, worth around 3k at the most in my opinion, there's nicers cars with more history for much less than this one.

Having said this i did note that the price of mr2s seems to be climbing lately, a lot of overpriced (or fairly priced i think) mr2 around just now which is a nice change from seeing rev3s going for under 2k!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

sheppy wrote: a nice change from seeing rev3s going for under 2k!

Not when you're in the market to buy one it's not! ;)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Tsia wrote:

Their price will only keep climbing though mate :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Tsia wrote:

lol this ^^ i'm back looking too :D
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

sheppy wrote:
Tsia wrote:

Not with what I'm doing to it. Stripping it out etc to use on track only. :P

I'd feel bad ruining one with nice bodywork.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

sheppy wrote:
Tsia wrote:

To be honest the reason i was led to break mines is because i was watching the market for months as i knew id be selling up, ive noticed alot of high price tagged mr2 but none or very little of them are selling.. Ive seen alot more rev1/2 turbos £1000 or so and rev3+ turbos less than £2k and even those are struggling to sell.
Im sure they will rise in price though due to the amount being broken unfortunately.

Stay away from Cat C, its harder and more expensive to insure it :wink:
Plus the fact it being harder to sell than a non recorded one :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Yeah, I was eyeing up your engine yesterday thinking I could drop that in to pretty much any MR2 and have a perfect track car ready to go ;)

Not sure my funds will permit quite that much though!
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Mine is a Cat C but I've not had any trouble insuring it. Price remained pretty good too at somewhere in the region of £500-550 if I remember rightly.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Willenium wrote:Mine is a Cat C but I've not had any trouble insuring it. Price remained pretty good too at somewhere in the region of £500-550 if I remember rightly.

Good to know - I'll have that car the day you get rid of it! :mrgreen:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

A good rev 3 turbo for sub 2k? No way. Someone show me one link of a good one...... I spent a lot of time looking around and ones at 3k were selling before I could even get to look at them. This was from spring this year.

Since then prices have gone up......down south at least. Rev 1/2 doggy ones maybe.... But a looked after rev 3 turbo? 2k no way
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:A good rev 3 turbo for sub 2k? No way. Someone show me one link of a good one...... I spent a lot of time looking around and ones at 3k were selling before I could even get to look at them. This was from spring this year.

Since then prices have gone up......down south at least. Rev 1/2 doggy ones maybe.... But a looked after rev 3 turbo? 2k no way

nobody mentioned good or looked after rev3s, we only said rev3. Glen Ns old car was on here for £1800, another member picked up a trade in for £200. i couldn't even get £2300 for my own rev3 turbo, which is looked after.

the blue one on ebay that's advertised for £3995 was sold for £1500 as well.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

We all know that one was a dog though ;-)

Fair enough if you struggled, perhaps location / time of year?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”