tubby + rain dont mix

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

StevenstonWullie

tubby + rain dont mix

Post by StevenstonWullie »

Right i have a ongoing problem if its a heavy downpour and when driving in heavy rain ...the car will start hesitating then pop/bang and dies and wont restart for say 20 mins , the dizzy and leads dont look soaked or anything and my rain tray is intact...hmmm, i fear it may be down to replacing my cap and leads about 6 mnths ago with blueprint/adt items....

any ideas?

cheers
markstevieandmads

Re: tubby + rain dont mix

Post by markstevieandmads »

Coil getting wet?
StevenstonWullie

Post by StevenstonWullie »

see i was thinking it was moisture getting into the king lead ...any ways to waterproof these ?
lufcraigyg

Post by lufcraigyg »

wd40 is your friend but it's not working for me. I'm having similar issues in heavy down pours.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Same I problem here, it drives fine until it's on boost, even low boost setting (6psi) sets it off, has a new coil and ignitor. Dizzy seems fine and dry, if it's any help, my car can be sitting in torrential rain and then drive ok, it'l seems to be surface water it has trouble with.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Check your plug wells. I had the same issue and found that it was water leaking down into them. Dried out and swapped to genuine leads and all was fine. Might not be your issue but definitely worth checking :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I use and and abuse my Rev3 24/7 all year, regardless of weather. Never had a problem in the rain. Ever.

However, i did replace coil, leads, cap and rotor arm with new Toyota items 2 years ago, plugs are changed annually, and alternator was replaced 3 years ago.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My rev2 was the same, rain didn't bother it the whole time i had it, to be fair i've not really inspected it at all, the coil was changed as the old one was goosed. I've yet to check leads, plug wells did cross my mind but it's genuine toyota leads on it.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Didn't know Pete even had an MR2!

I'm glad to see the content of this thread was mechanical. I was sure it was going to be a post crash report from the title...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

It will be the coil, take it off and have a look, it will have cracks on it that let water in.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

bobhatton wrote:It will be the coil, take it off and have a look, it will have cracks on it that let water in.

my coil is brand new and i have the same symptoms? :-k
craig

Post by craig »

bobhatton wrote:It will be the coil, take it off and have a look, it will have cracks on it that let water in.

+1. The casing gets brittle over time and cracks allowing water ingress. That would be my 1st port of call.

Then check for water in the plug Wells.
rgb

Post by rgb »

there's a big white plug connector under the engine bay fusebox and you can just about reach it with your hand . I had one that used to do it . i'd sit there for 10 minutes and it would dry out. give it a rattle next time it does it.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:

A brand new TOYOTA coil?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

bobhatton wrote:
sheppy wrote:

A brand new TOYOTA coil?

Yes.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
sheppy wrote:

A brand new TOYOTA coil?

Yes.

It is not the coil then :D
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

my lad wilki was having dire issues with his NA in the rain, King lead was just hanging on, and coil pack was foo barred.

replaced = magic :thumleft:
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Can you even buy a non toyota coil? Surely if it wasnt a toyota one it would be a denso coil, which would be the same thing anyway?

Edit: nevermid noticed several unbranded versions for sale.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Had the same problem in my old rev2 tubby drove me nuts until I sorted it out. If I can dig out my old post on mr2oc I'll post it here .

But anyways

My tubby left me stranded in the rain in a village like 90 miles away from home I didn't want this again so I found my problem

First my tubby had original ht leads apart from the king lead (not sure why it was a magnecor this got swapped for a brand new pair of Toyota ht leads) they fitted better magnacor are crap I don't care what anyone says Toyota ones are far better

But the car struggled to start it would splutter into life in the rain again this wasn't right so I dug deeper

Noticed my coil pack was new but was not original Toyota this got swapped for a second hand original one along with the cold start switch

And the combination of all 3 parts transformed the car. It ran smother was quicker returned better mpg and did not splutter into life in the rain and on boost in the rain it was fine

If your having issues starting your car in the rain I can't stress enougj change your coil pack if it looks a bit worn and only for a Toyota one

Don't use other ht leads apart from Toyota

Give the coil bracket a good clean and all other earth points

I had sorted a couple of wet start issues for other members a few years ago and they all have been easy over looked problems

I'll look for my post on mr2oc and show the difference between coils
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

one concurs sir

here's my lads thread he mentions the issues we had with his and rain

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”