High Idle?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jam

High Idle?

Post by Jam »

My MR2 N/A idles at 1500rpm when cold, then settles down to 900rpm once fully warmed up. Is this normal?

It sounds like it's revving higher then it should at the start of a journey. Most cars I've had before start at 1200rpm then get down to 800rpm.

Only had the MR2 a couple of weeks so not sure if this is normal or not.
Draven

Re: High Idle?

Post by Draven »

in a word

Yes.. :thumleft:

The idle may be higher if it is cold outside or lower if it is warmer..
Jam

Post by Jam »

The last few weeks, I've been finding that when first starting the car it sits at 1500rpm as above. However if I move the car and then stop, it get stuck at about 1700 - 2000rpm! After a few mins of warming up, it settles down to about 1000 - 900rpm.

I've taken the idle speed control valve, the sensor and the throttle body off and given them all a good clean, but it's made no difference.

Any suggestions? Replace the idle speed control valve sensor perhaps?
Sigster100

High idle speed

Post by Sigster100 »

Hi mate. Got the same problem on my 92 turbo. Used to be a fairly intermittent problem but now my idle speed is almost constantly between 1600 and 2000 rpm. Also had the throttle body cleaned but made no difference. Can anyone help please?
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

You could try the temperature sender. If this is faulty it doesn't know when to apply or shut off the choke settings. I believe this is the green bodied sensor fitter to the coolant outlet of the head, just above the gearbox. I think it was about 30 from Mr T, it cured my idle issues
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Check the throttle cable it might have got stuck on somethimg or sticky
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Jam wrote:

I've taken the idle speed control valve, the sensor and the throttle body off and given them all a good clean, but it's made no difference.

If you removed the TPS it must be set up as per the BGB or it may not set the ECU into closed loop for idle.

The AC idle up valve is also a place to look as they often stay open.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Jam

Post by Jam »

Fozzy wrote:You could try the temperature sender. If this is faulty it doesn't know when to apply or shut off the choke settings. I believe this is the green bodied sensor fitter to the coolant outlet of the head, just above the gearbox. I think it was about 30 from Mr T, it cured my idle issues

I'll check that next, thanks.

QUOC2008 wrote:Check the throttle cable it might have got stuck on somethimg or sticky

Already checked and all clean and working correctly, also the idle would still be high even at running temperature if it was physically stuck.

bobhatton wrote:
If you removed the TPS it must be set up as per the BGB or it may not set the ECU into closed loop for idle.

The AC idle up valve is also a place to look as they often stay open.

The idle is exactly the same as before I took it off, so I think the closed loop is still set.

The car doesn't have air conditioning so it won't have a idle up valve.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”