Thinking of buying a turbo rev3 next year need some advice.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turbo cookie!

Thinking of buying a turbo rev3 next year need some advice.

Post by turbo cookie! »

Right my rev3 is really showing signs of age form last owner and i am tempted to buy a tubo from japan or uk, Is there abig difference in running costs? apart form the fuel and insurance? i have been keeping an eye on cars in japan such as http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction ... G5392.html

I really wanted a bigger car but after looking at other car such a celica st203 and finding it has the same expensive suspension as the gt4 i thought well i may aswell say stay with mr2s if its the turbo isnt that much more that the na to run.

so what the difference in cost between the turbo and na? I understand that with the turbo you have to treat it with respect and at the age of 21 that not very common for kids my age to do. i also understand the turbo is completely different car to the na. seeing as the turbo is such a different car is it a good idea to move to a turbo after owing a na for just a year?
Draven

Re: Thinking of buying a turbo rev3 next year need some advice.

Post by Draven »

Well the Turbo is a completely different monster to the N/A. I would probably be looking at insurance quotes first with your young age would have an effect on premiums.

If they are good and you're happy with the cost then go for it. As you've said the Turbo needs to be handled with respect because they will punch you in the face. In terms of running I'm not sure I could say as I don't run my as a main car. I normally get around 275 out of a full tank.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Getting one is just the start....

With it being 20 years old, if it isn't undersealed & cavity wax sprayed get it done immediately.

Then backfill all the missing or overdue service items and niggles

That'll add up even on a mint car.

Totally worth it though. I've had a good array of cars from turbo converted Hyundai's to 350z's and the mr2 is easily my favourite car I've ever owned.
danjama

Post by danjama »

My turbo is quite close cost wise to my old NA. Even get the same miles from a tank and had the same common mechanical issues. Insurance was only £50 more too.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

If you've been driving an NA for a year then I wouldn't worry about your ability to drive the turbo, just keep at it as it's still the same car - just with an LSD and more whooshy sounds :thumleft: The usual stuff: smooth inputs, watch out for lift-off oversteer, good tyres and correct pressures..

I'm 22 and my Rev 3 turbo is about £600 fully comp with protected NCB and all mods declared, so you should be able to find a good deal :)
Bricknall

Post by Bricknall »

Mr.two, who are you insured with may I ask?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Admiral - multi car policy. Also insured my daily Honda CRV for £150 less than I was paying before! The MR2 was only £650 before I added the CRV :thumleft:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Go for it i have had both insurance and running cost are roughtly the same... maybe better as turbos are more efficient but really depends on how you drive. If you can handle your na at full thottle you will be fine with the turbo. Things will just happen alot quicker but you will get use to it. Its a much better car mr2 turbo.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”