Can't let go.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LukeSi

Can't let go.

Post by LukeSi »

Probably not much point in me posting this. More of a sob story than anything.

Basically my first car was a uk spec Rev 3 N/A, I had some great times with that car, I drove on track for the first time ever in it, I met a large number of my friends thanks to it, having the freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted made me who I am now.

Sadly I then got bored of the lack of speed and bought a RenaultSport Clio, as much as I like the Clio I wish I hadn't. At the point that I got the Clio my poor little 2' was in a state of disrepair, I had crashed it into a kerb and done some damage to the rear left suspension (nothing major just a bush), however in a moment of stupidity (18 etc) I tried to do clutchless gear changes and in the process killed the 3rd gear synchro.

I tried advertising it for sale but sadly no one bought it, thats when in an even bigger moment of stupidity I decided to strip it out, however I was heavy handed in how I did it and have destroyed a large number of parts of the interior, I then decided to remove the audio system, up until that point it was a fully functioning, albiet stripped out car. I decided that the best way to remove the audio system was by cutting the wires out with scissors.

Stupid stupid idea, I managed to cut the wiring to the fuel pump and despite all my efforts since haven't been able to rewire it due to there being no matching wires.

My poor old NA has been sat sad and forlorn for just under 12 months now, in the mean time I've bought myself a stunning rev 3 turbo, however everytime I think of my Green NA it makes me sad. I just can't let go of it, I would absolutely love to get it back on the road and would happily sell my clio to fund that however i fear it is beyond repair.

To get it back to tip top condition it needs a lot of work, work which I can't afford to get done. I just can't bring myself to let go, but at the same time I don't have the time / money / motivation to try and put it back together.

I could try and sell it however I know it would just get broken for parts which I don't want to happen. If someone came along who guaranteed they were going to put it back on the road (highly doubtful) then I would sell it to them in a heartbeat, that would be on the condition that when they sold it on I got first refusal, I spent a lot of money on it, had both sills and the rear driver's side arch welded.

Sorry for wasting your time if you've read this but its something I needed to write. I miss my old Green NA, M20 OMG I'm so sorry I ruined you :(
Draven

Re: Can't let go.

Post by Draven »

Well it is a shame that happened we are all young and foolish some times it takes a while to grow up but you still make mistakes.

You're in a bit of a difficult situation the cost of putting the car back on the road is probably far more that it is worth and N/A's have such low value now anyways. I would either break it up and spend your time making your Turbo as good a car as any or simply give it away. :?

I've got a friend how has an old mini. It was a 94 plate cooper and used to be a good car. But the HG went and he took it off the road parked it up and there it has sat for 6 years at least. He kept saying I'll sort it out its still worth money. It is completely rotten an covered in thick moss. It simply needs scrapping.

Don't let your N/A get like that either part with it and let someone else sort it or break it up and at least let it live on in other peoples cars.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Yeah thats probably the best thing to do. If I had the money to I would honestly be more than happy to put a few grand into it to get it back on the road.

The turbo I've got now pretty much wants for nothing, there aren't many parts on the car which are still standard and any parts I could take off my Green one its already had fitted to it.

I'm going to the Green car on thursday because I need it's Brake pads (carbotechs on the turbo are worn out and I can't afford new pads yet), so I may have one last attempt at getting it running again, I've had it running since by wiring the fuel pump to a audio system wire and it starts up like its not been sat at all.

How I wish I could go and stop myself from ruining the poor thing :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

If it's just sat doing nothing, try and repair a bit of it every week or so, i'm sure and autosparky could come and sort out the fuel pump issue. The interior can be sorted easy enough.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Yeah it really doesn't sound like that much work. You got it in that state, you get it out of it :lol:

Sorry but that's honestly my opinion. I remember your number plate and i remember thinking that's a nice mr2!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I feel your pain buddy .. sad to say but I think its time to cut it loose :cry:

As a ps. Any sparky that know his stuff should be able to sort you wiring problem ( if fitted my immobilizer, if its same on an na i know the wire you've cut).

Best of luck.. enjoy your tubby :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Let it go mate. You got a sorted tubby and clio.. No need to hang on to it :thumleft:
nitrodave

Post by nitrodave »

i feel your pain, and we've all been there and done silly things mucking about with cars... it's just a learning experience.

one other important thing i've learned over the years is not to develop emotional attachment to cars. it will only hold you back from moving onto other things and cost you money that you may live to regret spending

sell it, stick it on ebay, 99p, no reserve, and let it go

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”