Got myself a Rev 4 MR2 Turbo :) - suggestions to mods helpful

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Got myself a Rev 4 MR2 Turbo :) - suggestions to mods helpful

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Well, after the absolute disaster i went to view in Edinburgh, a white Rev 4 MR2 turbo came up in Dundee. Its an import, with 85k on it. Had new belt, gasket etc. Very clean car and well kept. Its running 260 bhp with a print out and 0.5 bar of boost (does this sound right?). I have a few ideas on what to do to the car, but ideally looking for input from the folk on here in the know. I dont want to do anything drastic to the engine, but I was thinking of adding a bigger intercooler and a digital boost controller. Does this sound like a good option and what can they run safely? Also, will it need remapped, and if so where is best to get it done - preferably in Scotland.

Only fault with the car is that on a long drive sat in fifth, the clutch starts to drop to the floor and you need to pump it to get it working again. Is this a common fault and how do I fix it. Also leaks like hell from the T-bar, are there aftermarket seals you can buy for them or something that will reduce these? Pics to follow as it wont let me upload them until I post some more.

Cheers

Dave
danjama

Re: Got myself a Rev 4 MR2 Turbo :) - suggestions to mods helpful

Post by danjama »

.5 bar is very low.

I would look at that before doing anything else.
daviefoster9773

danjama wrote:.5 bar is very low.

I would look at that before doing anything else.

Its maybe the gauge then. Its after market. The original still works. Certainly fast enough. How do i go about fitting a difital boost controller?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Clutch is probably your slave cylinder

ECU can't be remapped

Don't increase the boost until you have a better intercooler on it - improvements can also be made to the exhaust flow and the air intake which may help. With supporting modifications you could bump it up to 1.15BAR - you should currently be running around 0.9BAR so I'd borrow a boost gauge off someone if you can and see if the aftermarket one you have is lying.

How you install a boost controller varies from model to model but will at the very least involve installing a solenoid valve in-line in a vacuum hose in the engine bay, running wires from that through to somewhere in the cabin and then putting the 'brain' of the controller somewhere handy and wiring it up.

There are a few guides for fixing the t-bar - if you want to fix it properly and for a long period of time then I'd avoid the ones that involve squidgy black sealant and cling film.

HTH and welcome to MR2 turbo ownership :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
daviefoster9773

toxo wrote:Clutch is probably your slave cylinder

ECU can't be remapped

Don't increase the boost until you have a better intercooler on it - improvements can also be made to the exhaust flow and the air intake which may help. With supporting modifications you could bump it up to 1.15BAR - you should currently be running around 0.9BAR so I'd borrow a boost gauge off someone if you can and see if the aftermarket one you have is lying.

How you install a boost controller varies from model to model but will at the very least involve installing a solenoid valve in-line in a vacuum hose in the engine bay, running wires from that through to somewhere in the cabin and then putting the 'brain' of the controller somewhere handy and wiring it up.

There are a few guides for fixing the t-bar - if you want to fix it properly and for a long period of time then I'd avoid the ones that involve squidgy black sealant and cling film.

HTH and welcome to MR2 turbo ownership :thumleft:

Thanks for the info pal. :) I will check what boost it is running etc. Hopefully its not the slave cylinder as that means box off?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

No, you can do the slave cylinder without removing the gearbox.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=859287
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

got any pics?? i've never seen a white tubby going about up here, there's a couple of black ones but that's it :-k
daviefoster9773

sheppy wrote:got any pics?? i've never seen a white tubby going about up here, there's a couple of black ones but that's it :-k

Got a few pal, when will it let me upload links to photobucket?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

daviefoster9773 wrote:
sheppy wrote:got any pics?? i've never seen a white tubby going about up here, there's a couple of black ones but that's it :-k

Got a few pal, when will it let me upload links to photobucket?

you need to upload your pics to photobucket, then go to the pic you want, right click then choose "copy image URL"

hit the Img button above this box and you'll get this....>Image. it should display your pic on the forum :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

15 posts mate :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
daviefoster9773

cheers lads will upload a few now :) All infor is appreciated. What intercooler you lads recommend? Any decent garages in Scotland Sheppy?
daviefoster9773

Boy was from the housing estate on the left as you enter Dundee from the aberdeen direction. Turn off left before the shell garage and then left again.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

that's an area called Fintry mate, I've been trying to find a half decent garage in scotland too, if it's just to fit an intercooler that's deffo a DIY job man, plenty guides on here on how to do it, I can deffo say i have never seen this car in Dundee, looks very very clean though man, good luck with it :thumleft:

oh, any intercooler is better than the stock ones, just make sure you get the proper shroud with it etc, i think i seen a used pheonix power one in the for sale section :thumleft:
daviefoster9773

sheppy wrote:that's an area called Fintry mate, I've been trying to find a half decent garage in scotland too, if it's just to fit an intercooler that's deffo a DIY job man, plenty guides on here on how to do it, I can deffo say i have never seen this car in Dundee, looks very very clean though man, good luck with it :thumleft:

oh, any intercooler is better than the stock ones, just make sure you get the proper shroud with it etc, i think i seen a used pheonix power one in the for sale section :thumleft:

Yeah, it is very clean pal. I am very happy with it. runs perfect too. I think the boost gauge is wrong tbh. What boost do they run standard?

Cool, I will have a look. Yeah, I will buy and fit an intercooler, and then I am going to get a boost controller for it and hopefully fit that myself. 90 quid cheaper per month than the scooby to insure. 100 quid cheaper per year to tax. Laughing :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

daviefoster9773 wrote:
sheppy wrote:that's an area called Fintry mate, I've been trying to find a half decent garage in scotland too, if it's just to fit an intercooler that's deffo a DIY job man, plenty guides on here on how to do it, I can deffo say i have never seen this car in Dundee, looks very very clean though man, good luck with it :thumleft:

Yeah, it is very clean pal. I am very happy with it. runs perfect too. I think the boost gauge is wrong tbh. What boost do they run standard?

Cool, I will have a look. Yeah, I will buy and fit an intercooler, and then I am going to get a boost controller for it and hopefully fit that myself. 90 quid cheaper per month than the scooby to insure. 100 quid cheaper per year to tax. Laughing :)

are you over 25? you should have got some classic quotes mate, i'm £103 a year to insure mine fully comp :shock:

stock boost in 1st and 2nd is limited to 7psi, not sure what boost you should get in the rest of the gears though. a boost controller will give you full boost in 1st and 2nd as you do away with the TVSV when you fit it. makes such a difference.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:i'm £103 a year to insure mine fully comp :shock:

Stop showing off sheppy :lol: wish mine was that cheap :thumleft:

I had the clutch pedal going to the floor and staying there problem :cry:

My master cylinder was weeping and the slave wasn't much better .. So I swopped them both at the same time .. Problem solved :thumleft:

Boost should be 0.5 bar on warm up and about 0.9bar in 3rd/4th and 5th once the cars up to temp.

And, great looking car by the way, welcome to imoc mate :thumleft:

Kev.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ach, that price comes at another cost, i'm a fat old man now :lol:

I have to say this is one of the nicest cars on here. 5 minute drive from my house and i've never seen it!!

There's a million temporary fixes for the t-bar that do work, timately you're looking at new seals though. They are a small fortune too but i guess completely worth it. I did the 10 pence silicone method on my old car and it didn't leak in the 5 years i had it.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ha yeah it happens to us all sheppy, especially if you like beer like I do "Beer assistant !!"

Forgot to say you can buy intercooler kits from ebay and shrouds from gts chris .. had one on my car plus water / meth injection .. worked great :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Ha yeah it happens to us all sheppy, especially if you like beer like I do "Beer assistant !!"

Forgot to say you can buy intercooler kits from ebay and shrouds from gts chris .. had one on my car plus water / meth injection .. worked great :thumleft:

I rarely drink these days man, i do like eating rubbish and sitting a out in my pants on my days off though, my missus must have the patience of a saint.

Davie, if you're not in a mad rush I will have a full intercooler kit with shroud etc coming off the car in the next coue of months, you can have it for free :thumleft: not sure what make it is but as i said, the cheap ebay ones are better than stock, so even if it's one of them it'll still be up to the job :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”