Rubber intake rip. Silicone sleeve repair?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ProGeoffrey

Rubber intake rip. Silicone sleeve repair?

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Hi all! My air filter>turbo pipe what is rubber with 2 off pipes one for the blow off valve an the other im not to sure has a big rip in it.
I'm new to all this and up to now cant find a replacement and looking for options. I was thinking about some sort of glue/resin/gasket sealant and a short silicone sleeve over the ripped end and i've ordered some T-bolt hose clamps to replace the twin wire hose clamps that are on my car.

Would a glued sleeve work? What sorta glue/resin/gasket sealant would i be looking at if anyone knows?

Or is there another way? lol :-s

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Rubber intake rip. Silicone sleeve repair?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Just find a secondhand one.
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Have been trying to but cant find one up to now bud :(
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

ProGeoffrey wrote:Have been trying to but cant find one up to now bud :(

You only posted in Items Wanted yesterday! Some people have a life beyond the forum, especially at weekends. It's not a rare part, just a little patience and efort required.

Have you contacted gtschris, mr2ben etc?
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I had that happen & I 'repaired' it with flexible rubber glue... it lasted about a week before it broke again and sucked a lump of pipe into the engine :D

Replace it :thumleft:
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
ProGeoffrey wrote:Have been trying to but cant find one up to now bud :(

You only posted in Items Wanted yesterday! Some people have a life beyond the forum, especially at weekends. It's not a rare part, just a little patience and efort required.

Have you contacted gtschris, mr2ben etc?

Cool. I'm just not finding anyone via google about the part. An other requested items are being answered quicker :oops: and i have emailed gtschris an didn't expect a reply because of the weekend.

I did call Mr Mr2 about 2pm today and got a load of abuse lol. He said it was a rare part and i should google about it an i already had. So i said he didn't seem to know much about mr2s an he is overpriced then he flipped and hung up then called me back for more then went silent when i said i was recording the call :mrgreen: only wish i had the video cam setup before i did :mad:

So that got me thinking maybe repair it with a sleeve? haha

Mr2ben i dont trust much after a "misunderstanding"
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Mullen wrote:I had that happen & I 'repaired' it with flexible rubber glue... it lasted about a week before it broke again and sucked a lump of pipe into the engine :D

Replace it :thumleft:

That's what I'm scared might happen :whistle:

The internet is an amazing place to brain fart O:) Saves money hahaha
ashley

Post by ashley »

Call TCB parts :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Not sure if this will be any good to you because I dont know what rev you have ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoney-Racing ... 2a422589e0

When I got my car i'm pretty sure that piece had been ripped off and it was fitted to the car as is using a aftermarket hose clamp 8-[

I made my own 3" rev3 intake because there was only high price samco's available at the time . I will post up the how to I did if your interested.

Kev.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

if that's where the hose clamp goes on in the short term self amalgamating tape should do the job,

cut yourself a decent length of tape, remove the backing push the hose onto the bit that goes in it (don't know if it's the turbo or airfilter end) hold it steady then neatly wrap the tape around it overlapping the tape on itself by roughly a third each time. you can go back and forth with the tape building it up until it's strong, the tape bonds to itself so will make an airtight seal just don't over tighten the clamp when refitting it
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

So what is it like 40 quid from toyota? I'd just buy a new one.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Phone lee @ SFS they do silicone replacements. Believe the part no is ah23.

01582 509250
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

ashley wrote:Call TCB parts :thumleft:

Good thinking! lol i totally forgot about parts shops hahaha

2mad wrote:Not sure if this will be any good to you because I dont know what rev you have ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoney-Racing ... 2a422589e0

When I got my car i'm pretty sure that piece had been ripped off and it was fitted to the car as is using a aftermarket hose clamp 8-[

I made my own 3" rev3 intake because there was only high price samco's available at the time . I will post up the how to I did if your interested.

Kev.

Thanks mate i saw that one but i've got a rev1 so no good :(

thomp1983 wrote:if that's where the hose clamp goes on in the short term self amalgamating tape should do the job,

cut yourself a decent length of tape, remove the backing push the hose onto the bit that goes in it (don't know if it's the turbo or airfilter end) hold it steady then neatly wrap the tape around it overlapping the tape on itself by roughly a third each time. you can go back and forth with the tape building it up until it's strong, the tape bonds to itself so will make an airtight seal just don't over tighten the clamp when refitting it

Thank you \:D/ Looks & sounds like a good temp fix till i get a replacement hose :clap:
Draven

Post by Draven »

I think i've got a spare one let me have a look.
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Draven wrote:I think i've got a spare one let me have a look.

\:D/
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Skywalker wrote:Phone lee @ SFS they do silicone replacements. Believe the part no is ah23.

01582 509250

The SFS one is a good bit of kit :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Draven

Post by Draven »

I have found mine.. it is ok but is wearing on the joins and i've got a feeling it might split in the near future. I couldn't in good faith sell it. I'd recommend buying the SFS one simply because it'll be new.
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

toxo wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Phone lee @ SFS they do silicone replacements. Believe the part no is ah23.

01582 509250

The SFS one is a good bit of kit :thumleft:

Thanks mate :D

Draven wrote:I have found mine.. it is ok but is wearing on the joins and i've got a feeling it might split in the near future. I couldn't in good faith sell it. I'd recommend buying the SFS one simply because it'll be new.

No worries man i will so go for the SFS :D

Thanks for the help guys \:D/

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”