Headroom improvements?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

Headroom improvements?

Post by MR2Kyle »

Hi folks long time since I have been on here as quite a lot has went on over the past year but anyhow won't bore you guys with that! 😄 I have recently been wondering what modifications I could do to make my mr2 more comfortable to be in since I am a rather tall guy (6'6 ish) and she is a rather small car so...I was wondering who else has met my issue and what they have done to help it?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Headroom improvements?

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Only real way to gain a lot of headroom is to lower the seat, which would mean a bucket seat on custom runners and a bit of fabrication.

I have a fixed base mounted bucket seat on a custom frame (made myself) and it drops the seating position a couple of inches I reckon.

I've adapted a set of stock runners to take the same seat as well, this drops it about half to one inch I think.
stenky

Post by stenky »

A quick fix might be removing t-top shades and tintitng the glass gaining a few milimeters, or even a whole centimeter of headroom. I am 195cm tall and have no prob fitting in with shades on and factory seats :thumleft:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I assume we are talking about a rev2.

I am 6'4" and I have 2/3 inches above my head to the roof lining.

Would you say you have 'a long body' ?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

gavsdavs wrote:I assume we are talking about a rev2.

I'm the same height as you and the only issues I've had with a stock setup is in a coupe where the trim round the moonroof was close enough to cause discomfort if I hit a bump too hard. :lol:

T-bar not so much of an issue until I put a helmet on. If I drive a coupe with a lid on then I have to stick my head into the moonroof which becomes a little uncomfortable after a while. :lol:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I just realised this is in the mk1 subforum. Doh.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

LimeyMk1 wrote:

I'm the same height as you and the only issues I've had with a stock setup is in a coupe where the trim round the moonroof was close enough to cause discomfort if I hit a bump too hard. :lol:

T-bar not so much of an issue until I put a helmet on. If I drive a coupe with a lid on then I have to stick my head into the moonroof which becomes a little uncomfortable after a while. :lol:

Same... I'm 6'3" & with a helmet on have to recline the seat all the way back and still slouch right down which gets uncomfortable as a passenger nevermind trying to drive like that. I'd have to take the T-bar out really on stock seats.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Mk1a seats sit a little lower than those in the mk1b. You could try retrofitting a pair of earlier seats.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

aw11rally wrote:Mk1a seats sit a little lower than those in the mk1b. You could try retrofitting a pair of earlier seats.

He's got a Mk2 & put this thread in the wrong subforum :-$
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I'm 6ft 6 and manage fine in my mk2? Getting in and out with Kingston's very high kerbs can be a pain and results in folding myself up to the great amusement of any onlookers! I fitted better in by old T-bar, speedbumps can cause my poor head issues, but with the seat right back it's all good :thumleft:
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

Sorry for the late reply but I have a mk1 mr2....slim and I'm roughly 6'5 ish maybe SLIGHTLY taller... If I was to look for a bucket seat I would want something that would be comfortable long distance... But if I'm honest I still want to give it an original look so a bucket would certainly ruin that I would thing? :-k agh hate being tall...ruins everything! #-o
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

My OMP bucket seat is as comfortable as the stock seat I reckon. It's a 'fat boy' version so not a squeeze to get into.

As to the stock look, yeah that kind of goes out the window. :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”