Where have all the tubbys for sale gone?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmy2take

Where have all the tubbys for sale gone?

Post by timmy2take »

Used to be loads, been keeping an eye out for months for anything my neck of the woods and there's been sod all.

Stop crashing them or breaking them!

By the way I need a car today so if anyones thinking of selling a rev3+ tubby in the south east let me know
2mad

Re: Where have all the tubbys for sale gone?

Post by 2mad »

Theres a few nice tubbys on ebay :thumleft:
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Theres a fair few about, just depends on budget really...

As has been pointed out, there's a few on eBay. :)
craig

Post by craig »

I got bored of looking for a decent T-bar, so decided to start with a bare shell and a donor tin top, and restore the T-bar from the ground up:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173618

They're only getting broken because of rusty sills, and the fact they're worth more in bits.

Shame really. All the decent ones are owned by enthusiasts.
synXero

Post by synXero »

We're at the foot of the climb towards increased values in good turbocharged MR2s.

Quite shortly people are going to realise the hassle of breaking nets you five grand, but your good quality standardish turbo will get four to five as well, and you don't need the trouble.

Definitely within the next five years :thumleft:
ruth11

Post by ruth11 »

Sorry, I may have just bought the last one ;)

Although it wasn't in your neck of the woods (or mine), we had to go to Wales for it...
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Can easily spend a year trying to find one. A few years ago somebody approached me in a petrol station and offered to buy my tubby without driving it. That happened again a couple of weeks ago.

I think most people just see them as 20 year old cars and really under estimate how quick a tubby is and how well it handles if you replace any original shocks and avoid budget tyres.

As for how much they are worth, a friends tubby had a minor collision with an audi Qsomething and received cosmetic paintwork damage (no dents) and the insurance company initial reaction was we will probably write it off as its an old car!

When I am done with this one, I will need to the ncd on the next car so will probably just scrap it rather than wait months for an enthusiast to come along as it costs so much to have 2 cars insured, taxed, mot, ...
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

It took me over 6 months to find a nice tin-top Rev3+ turbo, it just takes time.
ruth11

Post by ruth11 »

In all seriousness, I was expecting to wait months to find the right one and I was expecting to have to travel some way for it.

I didn't expect to find one in less than a week from starting to look properly! People look for different things in a car though, I wanted one as untouched as possible which I thought would be nigh on impossible to find. Others want one that's already had all the decent upgrades done, or already has a cool body kit...

I got lucky, is the bottom line, but I did have to travel. I got as much info as I possibly could from the seller so I knew whether it was worth my while before I travelled though.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

TBF I had the same problem at the start of the year looking for a MK3! They were all a bit sheddy or people were asking daft money (£5K+). No middle ground.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

toxo wrote:TBF I had the same problem at the start of the year looking for a MK3! They were all a bit sheddy or people were asking daft money (£5K+). No middle ground.

When I was looking for a tubby two years ago I could only find two cars that had the spec I wanted (rev3/4 tintop) and even then the seller of the first car decided he didnt want to sell about an hour before I was about to go look at the car. :eye:

Literaly every other car was realy ropey or a t-bar.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

craig

Post by craig »

ruth11

Post by ruth11 »

That car was everything I wanted but couldn't justify the price. There's a similar one at DCY for £3k less but I couldn't even get my head around paying that.
They may be worth it to some but when you can find a reasonable rev 3 for £3-4k it didn't seem worthwhile to me to pay an extra £2.5-5k for a car just 2-3 years younger.
craig

Post by craig »

ruth11 wrote:

That car was everything I wanted but couldn't justify the price. There's a similar one at DCY for £3k less but I couldn't even get my head around paying that.
They may be worth it to some but when you can find a reasonable rev 3 for £3-4k it didn't seem worthwhile to me to pay an extra £2.5-5k for a car just 2-3 years younger.

Unfortunately, with these cars, you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap dog, and before you know it, the overall expense putting it right, will be quite high.

DCY have some nice MR2s in, and look pretty clean. Plus, no rigmarall with importing a car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”