Radiator options.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Boddney

Radiator options.

Post by Boddney »

Hi gang,
The rad has let go on my Mk1 and the cheapest I can find is £109 for a new one on the bay. I know I sound tight but I'm not keen on spending that much as my car is only a play car and does less that 1000 miles a year.
Is there a cheaper and more available alternative rad that would fit straight in i.e a Mk2 or a Corolla of some Mk?

Cheers,
Bod
PW@Woodsport

Re: Radiator options.

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Only a Mk1 rad "fits straight in" , you'll pay £100 plus for any radiator, personally i'd just fit a Mk1 rad and be done with it.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Agree with Paul, have looked for MR2 radiators before (not for mine) and that's pretty much the going rate.

You can use radweld if you remove the radiator, fill with boiling water on the floor and then do the radweld. you then have to let it cool overnight and then drain thoroughly, including a hose flush through. - under no circumstances put it in the radiator with it attached to the car!!!!

With regard to the use of radweld though, I would personally just replace the radiator rather then do what I have said as there is no guarantee it will fix the problem and with the MK1 cooling system you really don't want radweld in there if you can help it.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I paid £109 for mine 3 years ago and it's still holding up

I've used Halfords SuperSteel on my 206 radiator when that sprung a leak and to be fair it hasn't leaked since, but I wouldn't radweld the mr2 rad - just buy a new one.
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

If you're not too worried about it being brand new then maybe just getting a secondhand, pressure tested one off fleabay or a breakers might do the trick? I just picked up one off ebay for around half the cost of a new one as I just need something that won't leak on mine to get the engine running again while I sort out the bodywork issues etc - then I'll buy a nice new one once I know all is well with the rest of the car. Since you do only around 1k miles a year this might work out as a reasonable alternative?

Cheers,
Mark
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Thanks guys. Comprehensive advice as usual. Time to do a bit of bullet biting.
MarkCL

Post by MarkCL »

Just in case it helps - there's a new pattern one for sale on eBay now here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-Mk ... 462611cfd8

If it doesn't go too high then you might be able to save a few quid at least :D

Cheers,
Mark
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Thanks Mark, good spot..
I have watched it.
outrun

Post by outrun »

I will also be needing a new rad. So have been looking about, too.

I currently have one of the MX-5/RX7 alloy jobs, but I'm not a fan.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

I took it to a mate of mine that just started a new radiator business to see if it could be re-cored. He took one look at it and said it was knackard due to the frame being so rusty.
He ordered me a new one and at mates rates I paid £100 for a better quality one that was on Ebay. Ah well, she's worth it.
It's all back together now but the idle speed is a little high so I need to find time for a re-bleed.

Bod
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I bought one years ago from Toyota. About £110 IIRC.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Sadly unavailable now Lauren and the last time they had one it would have been £280 and that's with my Toyota Club discount. Ouch :pale:
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Did you try here?

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”