New alloys put on noise from the back and car feels lose and shakes slightly

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2z

New alloys put on noise from the back and car feels lose and shakes slightly

Post by Mr2z »

Hi all, today I put my advan 17 alloys which I bought 2nd hand
Put brand new tyres all around
3mm spacer on the front
5mm spacer on the back

I never changes wheels on any of my cars before so very new to this
What can it be

I haven't had the car ailment and tracking done just put the wheels on. Is it just that?

Any advice pls

Thank in advance
shinny

Re: New alloys put on noise from the back and car feels lose and shakes slightly

Post by shinny »

Describe the noise!!! (Seriously, how many times have I seen people report a noise without describing it in the slightest?)

I'd bet you didn't tighten the nuts after dropping the car back onto the floor...
jimGTS

Re: New alloys put on noise from the back and car feels lose and shakes slightly

Post by jimGTS »

Hubcentric spacers? Or crappy universal ones?
Fit spigot rings?
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Did you get them balanced first?
Are you using Spigot rings? [if the wheels need them]
Did you torque the bolts to 104Nm?
Have the spacers got MR2 spigots built in, [to centre them on the hub correctly] or are they the flat universal type?

It's probably the balancing given tapered bolts pull the wheel true as they're tightend but making sure they can't wander at all is no bad thing.

No doubt others will have some insight but that was my first thought.

Edit// lol. Two posts in the time it took to write that.
Last edited by Mullen on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

shinny wrote:Describe the noise!!! (Seriously, how many times have I seen people report a noise without describing it in the slightest?)

I'd bet you didn't tighten the nuts after dropping the car back onto the floor...

Hi it's not a grinding noise. Really don't know how to describe it. Pit could just be the tyre noise from contact to the road.
I did tighten all four wheels to 105nm

Is it a must to get the tracking and alignment dine after putting on new wheels.

Sorry to sound so blond just not good at this things lol

Thank you for replying
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

jimGTS wrote:Hubcentric spacers? Or crappy universal ones?
Fit spigot rings?

Universal ones bought from ellit
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

jimGTS wrote:Hubcentric spacers? Or crappy universal ones?
Fit spigot rings?

Yup fitted spigot rings
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

So did you get the wheels balanced when the new rubber went on or no?
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

Mullen wrote:So did you get the wheels balanced when the new rubber went on or no?

Yes got the front wheels balanced the grange said the back didn't need blancing! But they didn't check or any thing
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I'd want the rears checked too.
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

Mullen wrote:I'd want the rears checked too.

Thanks bud.
Will take it to proper place and get it all checked out.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Mr2z wrote:Yes got the front wheels balanced the grange said the back didn't need blancing!

Find a better garage! :thumleft:

Mr2z wrote:Hi it's not a grinding noise. Really don't know how to describe it.

Okay then... is it high or low pitched? Does is knock, pulse, whir or grind? Does it change speed or pitch with road speed or engine revs?

Mr2z wrote:Is it a must to get the tracking and alignment dine after putting on new wheels.

Um no... wheels have nothing to do with alignment.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Also, when you say the rear, 'feels loose' do you mean it's not gripping the road like you're used to, like it doesn't have that planted feeling?

New tyres take a while to lose the mold release agent and break in so that could just be that if so. Just a thought.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Mr2z wrote:
3mm spacer on the front
5mm spacer on the back

First point, buy wheels that fit properly !
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
JD

Post by JD »

1. the universal spacers mean that, even though you fitted spigot rings, they probably won't have enough purchase on the hub

2. are the tyres rubbing on anything? struts, bodywork?

3. you definitely need all four wheels BALANCED after new tyres are fitted but that is NOT the same thing as tracking and alignment which involves setting up the suspension geometry on the car.

I talk the big talk but I recently had a wheel fall off because of crappy spacers, so please be more careful than I was :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

JD wrote:1. the universal spacers mean that, even though you fitted spigot rings, they probably won't have enough purchase on the hub

^That^ I suspect this may be the cause, if you have 3mm and 5mm spacers fitted, the wheels will not be centered/supported properly on the hub spigot. I'd try removing the spacers and refitting the wheels with the correct sized spigot rings and see if it cures the problem.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
craig

Post by craig »

Nic wrote:
JD wrote:1. the universal spacers mean that, even though you fitted spigot rings, they probably won't have enough purchase on the hub

^That^ I suspect this may be the cause, if you have 3mm and 5mm spacers fitted, the wheels will not be centered/supported properly on the hub spigot. I'd try removing the spacers and refitting the wheels with the correct sized spigot rings and see if it cures the problem.

^what he said. Any spacers that are fitted should be hubcentric so the hub flange is still there even though spacers are fitted.

Proper offset wheels should be purchased though really, to avoid the use of spacers.

Those cheap non hubcentric spacers are horrible, because, as mentioned, they reduce the hub flange for the wheel to sit on.
Mr2z

Post by Mr2z »

Thanks gents. Ordered hubcentruc spacers all wheel blanced and alignment done. Every thing seems fine now. The noise from the back is the tyres noise.

Next mission lowering springs or wait save money get coilovers LOL
Torero

Post by Torero »

Juliankv73 is selling a set of 5mm hubcentric spacers in the 'For Sale' section. Drop him a PM.

Link is here http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180008
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

May be obvious, but sometimes removing the wheels and refitting them can correct issues like these. Worth a go anyway...

3mm spacers shouldn't really cause a problem as there is still more than enough hub for the wheel to sit on.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”