Dazzz's Rev3 Turbo Tbar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazzz

Dazzz's Rev3 Turbo Tbar

Post by dazzz »

Being a member and owner now for a number of years i thought id take the time to write down a history of my mr2 ownership, as a record for the future years.
The story begins in the summer of 1999. It was time to buy myself a new car. I’d always loved the mr2 mk1 and mk2. Being young insurance was a massive factor when purchasing a car. I already had a works van so used this to get around.

The mr2 mk1 wasn’t so bad on insurance for me. Iirc it was around £1500 per year. In the summer of 1999 i purchased my first mr2, a red 1989 mk1b. The mk2 was far to expensive.
After a couple of years my brother bought a 1990 mk1 from his mate for £500, i paid £3750 for mine. Mine was much cleaner and his had little dents and such on most of the panels.
Fast-forward a few years later. My F reg mk1 was suffering from a rotting chassis. It couldn’t pass the mot anymore so something needed to be done. My brother’s car had been broken into and had the stereo stolen so was just parked up on the drive with plastic over the window. He now had another car anyway.
His chassis was in excellent condition and my car had all the other bits in good condition but rotten chassis. The plan was to take everything off the F reg and put them onto the Greg.
The car was finished in late spring 2007.
Due to women issues, i was pressured into selling my little red 2. I’ll always regret selling the car. It wasn’t the best mr2 in the world but i knew every single inch of the car. I was gutted to see her drive off.
Christmas 2009
After finding out my girlfriend was crazy, i managed to get rid of her so i moved back to my parents home. Living costs were low and i fancied a new car. What to buy??? I wanted a second car, something fast for the weekends. I knew it had to be an mr2 turbo. I decided which car to go for, a rev3 turbo tbar in black. After looking for a couple of weeks i saw one advertised by a dealer in Sheffield. When i rang to confirm it was a rev3 the garage owner assured me it was a rev2. He meant mk2 and thought i was after a mk3. I went down to view it knowing the sales men knew less than i did. It was exactly the model i wanted and completely standard in every way and still had the man in dandism glass tints. After a quick test drive i bought it.
STANDARD PICS AS PURCHASED

She was imported in 2006 and owned by a single owner who then went on to trade it in to garage i bought it from. 51000 miles on the clock, everything standard but with no real service history. No evidence of cam belt change etc. It was all fully under sealed and under sealed well. The car came with the standard wheels with Nexen boots. Not ideal but they didn’t need changing straight away. I gave her a good service and used it for the summer as i bought it.
In April 2010 i took her down to Rogue motorsport for a cam belt change. Whilst there i also had a few other little bits and pieces sorted, slave cylinder change, drop link. Thor racing was on the same ind estate so i wanted to go on the dyno to see what she makes. Whilst waiting for them to setup it was noticed my car had a leak from the radiator. Whilst on route to rogue that morning, I’d pulled over to smoke a bine. I noticed a little wet spot under the car but thought it must have been there when i parked, not from my car. It was from my car though. Took her back to rouge from Thor and hoped they could replace the radiator. This was Friday afternoon, an hour or so later and the rad change was finished, topped up and burped. They were very good. Went back to Thor and had a run on the dyno. Numbers all seemed to be about right.
During the past year I’d also purchased RedMr2’s old rev2 turbo with rev 3 conversion from a guy on here. He didn’t have much luck with it and after spending a small fortune, he’d given up. I only went to buy the wheels but whilst there we discussed his situation and i bought the whole car from him for a steal. It was packed with all the good xxxx i was in need of, plus extras.
I kept the wheels and tyres plus the Fujitsubo Legalis Exhaust, suspension with new springs and a few other bits and sold the rest on. I’d also bought a few other parts along the way, berk downpipe, new disks and pads and braided lines, whiteline front roll bar, Apexi filter.
Al/c, who I met on here, came over and we fitted the lot. He did a great job and was a pleasure to work with. A thoroughly good chap who knows his mr2s inside and out. The car felt so much better. New tyres on 16 inch wheels, new brakes, plus the new downpipe and exhaust sounded sweet. I then fitted a rev5 spoiler to complete the look.

June 2010 i took her over to Pete at Sbits in Barnsley. Had all the suspension bushes changed and also changed the gearbox oil, replaced with MT90. Plus the shift bearings. Driving the car home, she now felt tight and agile. Its only after the new bushes did i realise how sloppy the old bushes must have been and mine weren’t that bad on removal. I’d recommend this to anyone.

September 2010 Nurburgring. After everything had been done and tested it was time for a visit to the Nur. We went up to Hull then over to Rotterdam on the overnight ferry. We had a drive into Amsterdam for some light refreshments upon arrival in the morning then cruised down to the Nurburgring. The best holiday I’ve ever had. The car was faultless from start to finish. And it was also fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4KTGz4kI_0

I enjoyed the car for the next couple of years. I’ve not really gone into detail on the amount of oil changes and replacement tyres but there have been many
I started to get itchy feet and fancied something else. In Feb. 2013 i took a new contract which involved travelling 90 miles per day and also callouts. The MR2 was used for the first two weeks and was perfect to drive but the salty roads and general use every day was going to take its toll and kill her over time. I could feel it wasn’t good for her.
In March 2013 I arranged to meet MR2 Rich at Sbits so he could see the car with a view to buying it. Pete could check it over for him and make sure it was as described. I explained there were a few issues with the car that wanted attention but nothing major. Brakes were juddery when pressed hard, cam cover gasket weeping, a few paint imperfections. Nothing that wasn’t easily sorted.
Unfortunately for Rich, the drive over to Sbits from Manchester is very good and one of my fave roads. By the time i arrived at Sbits i felt really bad but I’d already decided i wasn’t going to sell the car. It’s my baby. Took Rich for a quick spin to show him what he was missing and i was back in love with the MR2. I’d bought a Mondeo as a daily driver for work. I gave the Mr2 a good cleaning and parked her up whist i planned the work which needs doing to get her back to her best. MOT time came around so i took it in just to see what needs doing under the car. I knew it wouldn’t pass, the handbrake needed attention and the exhaust had a small leak right at the flange that i didn’t know about. It would need a new centre pipe.
After returning from the mot station with a fail cert, she was parked up. New parts to be bought and fitted. I just seemed to lose motivation, work commitments, other stuff and she sat for a year on the drive getting dirty. She was started and moved around on the drive every 12 weeks or so but little faults occurred. PAS didn’t work and the driver’s door lock now didn’t work on the remote. Over time this has now developed into the driver’s door lock not even turning with the key. Probably just a seized something or other.

July 2014 Time to get the Turbo back to its glory days.
I’d disconnected the battery and had it on charge in the garage so once reconnected she started first time and the PAS now works. I’ll get a new relay at some point soon. I’d already sourced a replacement pipe for the Legalis so changed that over yesterday and gave the back box and tail pipes a good polish whilst removed.
Next job is to fit the cam cover gasket I’ve had for 2 years. Whilst removed ill give the cover a clean and paint. Then inspect the front brakes to investigate the brake judder. My guess is that it’s going to be a warped disc but I’ll check over all the brakes before change of fluid and bleed.
MR2 Rich

Re: Dazzz's Rev3 Turbo Tbar

Post by MR2 Rich »

Good write up mate. Wish it was mine but glad you are getting back into it and understand why you wouldn't sell. She's a beaut. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Cheers mate.

I was thinking of returning her to standard but I like the exhaust, ssqv and induction kit noise to much.

The plan is to revert back to the standard wheels once they've been refurbed. I've also got rid of the rev5 spoiler. Gonna stick with the standard rev3 spoiler.

How's your car going?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I know what you mean with regards mods. I would like totally standard but I like the look of the skirts and wheels on mine. The only other thing is the intercooler, which is a necessary upgrade IMO.

The cars going great, performs how it should and hasn't used any oil or water in 1000 miles. Couldn't ask for more and Simon has transformed the car from an annoyance to an awesome car.

What tyres are you going to get if you go standard?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Don't know what's available in 15 inch size. I have found a good tyre fitter though who also do the full laser alignment. Not gonna go stupid with semi slicks or anything. Ideally id like a set of wheels in 16 inch that look very similar to the standard wheels, maybe with a slightly thinner spoke.

Tyres will be the very last thing to purchase before wheel alignment and mot. I'm probably not gonna drive it this autumn / winter so I'll probably wait till spring before I buy. Plenty of time.

I'm gonna change back to the old original corner indicators though. I've got some clear ones on at the moment which have crap ingressed into them.

I'm just gonna concentrate on getting all the little niggly jobs done for now. eg the drivers side window rattles a little bit when half way down.

All sorts to do but looking forward to doing them. It's a great car to tinker with.

I should've kept the intercooler I think. I just couldn't be ar$ed putting it on and I had to clear some stuff from the garage.

I actually found the alu shroud I bought for it the other day. Do you have one fitted?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Not many tyre sizes for the rear tyre, I would like to go standard but there isn't much choice.

No I haven't got any shroud around it, what does it look like?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Its one of these.

http://www.gtschris.com/store/comersus_ ... roduct=141

I don't know how easy it is to install without removing the whole intercooler.

You cover the postage cost and it's yours if you want it
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Fujitsubo Legalis R removed to replace centre pipe due to corrosion. Polished whilst off

al/c

turbo

Post by al/c »

glad to see you decided to keep the car mate :thumleft: it,s a good one. :)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Cheers Al

We'll have to meet up soon. Looking forward to seeing that car of yours.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice car there Dazz, wondered when you were going to do a profile thread! :mrgreen:

Black T bar eh? Good choice. :wink:

Legalis exhaust looks good polished up, and definitely worth keeping hold of. I've gone for a quiet(er) exhaust, and swapping out the Nur Spec-R for a Mongoose.

Good write up.
JD

Post by JD »

That's a good find, especially from a dealer that didn't know what he had. Looking forward to updates :thumleft:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

JD wrote:That's a good find, especially from a dealer that didn't know what he had. Looking forward to updates :thumleft:

It was a prestige garage with lots of jags and Mercs and such. He told me the previous owner had traded it in for a 55 amg.

She's one of the first 100 or so of the rev3s to come off the production line. I checked the vin numbers a while ago. I don't know if she was a dealer demo car or a customer preorder though.

Mileage now stands at 88700. I've covered approx 39000 miles since March 2009. It hasn't been used for the past year though. I've got 11 invoices from Toyota for oil filters.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Corrosion on the mild steel flange of the exhaust. Backbox is stainless but the mid section isn't.

Replacing it with a stock mid pipe until I have a SS one made next year.

A few comparison shots.

Last edited by dazzz on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

dazzz wrote:Its one of these.

That's a really nice offer mate. I moving this week so if it is ok I can get it posted to my new house next week?

:thumleft:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

MR2 Rich wrote:
dazzz wrote:Its one of these.

That's a really nice offer mate. I moving this week so if it is ok I can get it posted to my new house next week?

:thumleft:

Just let me know once you're settled and ill pop in at the post office.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Another job to add to the list. Have the floor mats reworked.

dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Exhaust refitted after changing the centre section. Once she's on the road again ill have a 3in SS center section made for the LegalisR.

She'll have a good polish before she hits the road

Can anyone read Japanese???

Engine Bay in need of a good clean.

Parts removed for cleaning and also to allow for the removal of the cam cover to replace the weeping gasket.

Engine Bay ready for cam cover removal.

dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Cam cover removed.

When I went to undo the bolts in the cam cover I discovered they were all barely finger tight. I've never undone them or had any work done which would require for them to be undone. Something to keep an eye on when finished.

Dirty cam cover.

Being cleaned for painting

HKS SSQV in need of painting

Painted in the standard silver. Was going to do the shield in black like craigs but decided to keep it the standard colour.

Assembled

wilki

Post by wilki »

Looking good, keep up the good work :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”