[Mk2] [Turbo] Got a few lights flickering up? Maybe Alternator but there is a curve ball!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pkmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Got a few lights flickering up? Maybe Alternator but there is a curve ball!

Post by pkmr2 »

Hi All I was on my way back from a show today when suddenly I have got some intermittent flickering lights first it was this one

Engine bay fan warning light so I slowed down a tad and took it easy for the rest of the journey just before I got home about 35mins after the first showing I started getting these one flickering at the same time!

Battery warning light ah I thought alternator problem but the cat light as well I haven't got one!

When I got home I jumped out and checked the fan which I am pleased to report was spinning away lovely

Any help much appreciated :thumleft:

Pete
vtecpower

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Got a few lights flickering up? Maybe Alternator but there is a curve ball!

Post by vtecpower »

New alternator time

Horrible job on a tubby
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Got a few lights flickering up? Maybe Alternator but there is a curve ball!

Post by Peter Gidden »

vtecpower wrote:New alternator time

Probably, but check loom first.

With ignition on, check for 12V+VE at all 3 pins of the 3 pin plug at the back of the alternator.

If all OK, alternator goosed. If pin missing 12V+VE, loom wire is at fault. Common on Rev1 cars.
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
vtecpower wrote:New alternator time

Probably, but check loom first.

With ignition on, check for 12V+VE at all 3 pins of the 3 pin plug at the back of the alternator.

If all OK, alternator goosed. If pin missing 12V+VE, loom wire is at fault. Common on Rev1 cars.

Thanks Pete :thumleft:
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Just an update I did check the battery it is a crappy Halfords one I discovered one of the terminals was not as tight as the other plus the battery clamp bracket is missing so it might have been rocking about and causing voltage fluctuation?

Pistol Pete has a bracket for me I have packed the battery until then cleaned the terminals and tightened clamps correctly.

I did a local test and no lights flickered but I will test at 60/70 mph at the weekend when everything is running at a greater load :thumleft:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Had that same issue Peter mentions; it was him that pointed me in that direction too.

Black and yellow wire on a rev2, seems to string all the sensors together and feed em' with voltage... it breaks down in the loom, I'm guessing at the splice points - haven't had it out to inspect yet.

I just ran a bypass wire, strung them up myself from the same point in the fusebox.

It can be intermittent in the early stages though, so if the problem returns, I'd def check this.

Return to “Electrical”