Fitting braided brake lines, quick question..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pistol pete

Fitting braided brake lines, quick question..

Post by pistol pete »

Half way through fitting my new suspension ARBs and brake lines

what have people done at this point? to secure the pipe? or have people just left it
as my old pipe was part of the bracket (rev 5)
I am going to make something up at work to hold it in location, as i don't like it floating, just wondered what others done

also i have coilovers with no place to secure the brake line again what have others done?
cheers

bobhatton

Re: Fitting braided brake lines, quick question..

Post by bobhatton »

pistol pete wrote:Half way through fitting my new suspension ARBs and brake lines

what have people done at this point? to secure the pipe? or have people just left it
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0051.jpg[/URL]
I am going to make something up at work to hold it in location, as i don't like it floating, just wondered what others done

also i have coilovers with no place to secure the brake line again what have others done?
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0052.jpg[/URL]
cheers

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0050.jpg[/URL]

That is what you get from buying cheap crap.

The Goodridge lines have all the stock brackets so all just fit back it place of the stock lines.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Donato

Post by Donato »

The HSD's don't have the bracket for the brake flexi. The only thing you can really do is cable tie it into position like you have done, that's what I did for mine.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

bobhatton wrote:
pistol pete wrote:Half way through fitting my new suspension ARBs and brake lines

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0051.jpg[/URL]

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0052.jpg[/URL]
cheers

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v323/petandkel/Sonic%20Shadow%20MK2/DSC_0050.jpg[/URL]

The Goodridge lines have all the stock brackets so all just fit back it place of the stock lines.

thanks for the oh so helpful reply
They were not cheap.. HEL lines, always told as good as goodridge and not much difference in price
Last edited by pistol pete on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Donato wrote:The HSD's don't have the bracket for the brake flexi. The only thing you can really do is cable tie it into position like you have done, that's what I did for mine.

Ahh some one with helpful advice.. cool thanks buddy ill double cable tie to make sure

and ill make some brackets up for the other section :thumleft:
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

See where the bracket is where the flexi meets the hard pipe? Needs some support there methinks. Shouldn't take too long to bend up a bracket, find and slit a suitable grommet, cunning use of sikaflex to fix grommet to bracket, paint and fit.

HEL lines, always told as good as goodridge and not much difference in price

I buy quite a lot of HEL stuff, but the Goodridge stuff for the Mk2 is simply in a different league.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Fair enough.. Cheers..
Yeah sort of thing I was think make a bracket out of ally today at work..

What difference will the goodridge make? I am happy to admit they are better as they are normally the ones I use. Just though try something different.. Is it just they have the brackets?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

bobhatton wrote:

Bob is right, even if he was straight to the point :lol:

should have gone for goodridge then all the brackets would be present just like OEM
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

pistol pete wrote:

What difference will the goodridge make? I am happy to admit they are better as they are normally the ones I use. Just though try something different.. Is it just they have the brackets?

Pretty much just that. On just about anything else I'd choose HEL on price.
craig

Post by craig »

Goodridge brakelines over HEL, the only braided lines with MR2 specific brackets.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:Goodridge brakelines over HEL, the only braided lines with MR2 specific brackets.

So they fit. And they're guranteed for life. And i know which country they're made in.

Reminds me of...

Donato

Post by Donato »

pistol pete wrote:
Ahh some one with helpful advice.. cool thanks buddy ill double cable tie to make sure

Probably your best bet! It'd fail MOT if it wasn't secured. I should know, mine did! :lol:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

cool.. ill order up some goodridge ones then.. make sure all is okay.. :thumleft:

wanted to ask to see what peoples experiance was with them

still best way to secure to the coilovers?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Donato wrote:
pistol pete wrote:

Probably your best bet! It'd fail MOT if it wasn't secured. I should know, mine did! :lol:

If I was an MOT tester I would fail any brake line held in place with a cable tie, that is a very poor and dangerous way to secure anything.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

thats why i am trying to find a better way of doing it.. so instead of pointing it out saying its wrong
could you please suggest a method of overcoming this?

goodridge hoses on order will be with me friday :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ill stick with what i know next time as always ordered them before..

but still asking how to put to the coilover?

thanks
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Goodridge brakelines over HEL, the only braided lines with MR2 specific brackets.

So they fit. And they're guranteed for life. And i know which country they're made in.

Reminds me of...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://dwll.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/ ... design.jpg

:thumleft:
Back to goodridge it is :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Out of interest, if you've had goodridge lines before, why did you go for hel lines? Plenty of threads on here would have revealed they don't have the mr2 fixing brackets.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

don't really know to be honest.. heard good reviews else where about HEL, never looked them up on here before purchase.. ah well live and learn

I have goodridge on the ST

still dont know what to do about coilover mounting though?? peter what do you do?
cheers
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

pistol pete wrote:don't really know to be honest.. heard good reviews else where about HEL, never looked them up on here before purchase.. ah well live and learn

I have goodridge on the ST

still dont know what to do about coilover mounting though?? peter what do you do?
cheers

All good coilovers that I have seen come with the brake hose mounting brakets just the same as the stock ones or a bolt on braket on cheaper makes
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

The goodridge warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on !!!!
And the quality isn't as good as people bang on about,

The welds on the rear brackets are terrible quality

I had a brand new set fail on my n/s/r and I'm still battling with k300 over warranty to the point I've bought another set from a trader on here,

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”