[All] [Generic] MR2 MK2 Complete Paint Overhaul

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

v1xz

[All] [Generic] MR2 MK2 Complete Paint Overhaul

Post by v1xz »

My 2 really needed it. I got quotes from various people, a blow over back to red would be £500 and a complete professional job would be £1000. I don't know about the rest of you people but I'm not in the best job I've ever had so I set about doing this for myself.
I researched for months on different do's and don't on painting your car. I originally thought I'd be okay just doing it with spray cans but watching videos online it didn't look that hard doing it with a compressor. I bought a compressor kit from eBay £78 nearly new from Parkside, 9bar max & 26litre tank. Came with paint gun, impact gun and other bits I don't think I'll be using. Then I set about finding a sufficient car port to house my car. £41 for a 9x6 commercial Surf & Turf tent with all 6 sides, in good condition too. So now I'm thinking "this is it, I'm actually gonna do this" but where do I find paint from and what colour? I put up a thread asking what colour people would do there 2 if they had the choice. Someone clearly pointed out that if the base was red it is only logical that it should be red as it would look odd if the outside was a different colour to under the hood/frunk. So Red it is but how boring...
I started sanding it down anyway. Approx £56 on wet and dry sanding paper from Halfords.

I was under the impression I only had to sand down the really bad bits and score the rest of the lacquer so the primer could sit on it. Lucky no filler needed as I've not bumped it anywhere. But then someone told me I had to remove ALL lacquer for the new paint to sit on. (I was still driving it like this, oh the looks you get)

Final stage of sanding with a little bit of help...

The car port...

To be continued...
i like MR2
raptor95GTS

Re: [All] [Generic] MR2 MK2 Complete Paint Overhaul

Post by raptor95GTS »

good luck with this! Nice job driving it like that, seen one where the guy drove it in its primer but not during the rub down :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good on ya for getting stuck in- it's the only way to learn!

A tip for next time- don't buy your material from Halfrauds, use your local trade paint and bodywork center- will save you £££'s :thumleft:

Looking forwards to seeing how you get on, what kind of paint are you planning to use? Twin pack?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

I like this.
Draven

Post by Draven »

ashley wrote:A tip for next time- don't buy your material from Halfrauds, use your local trade paint and bodywork center- will save you £££'s :thumleft:

+1 this.. :thumleft: You can get some really decent wet and dry online. I've bought about 30 sheets for £14
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

Draven wrote:
ashley wrote:A tip for next time- don't buy your material from Halfrauds, use your local trade paint and bodywork center- will save you £££'s :thumleft:

+1 this.. :thumleft: You can get some really decent wet and dry online. I've bought about 30 sheets for £14

](*,) I should have started a thread asking where to buy my materials from too...
i like MR2
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

So i have a compressor + gun, Car port to spray my car in and sanding equipment to get the paint off. Total spend - £175 and a little bit over for cloth and buckets.

I wanted it red but with a difference so i looked into a sparkly red colour. I soon found people were mixing metal flakes into their lacquer to give the colour a bit of a twinkle and thought yes thats what i wanna do.. until i saw this>>>>
CANDY APPLE RED :lol: :lol:

I wanted it straight away! O:) O:)
Got in contact with the seller (hope mods dont mind me listing the paint company here)
NU-AGANE CAR PAINTS -
NO 1 Brace Street, Bedford, Bedfordshire
Spoke with a great guy Adrian who told me all about the paint and the different mixes he can do for me (2k or ready for paint). I did inform him that i was a novice and have never done this. He immediately hung up on.... me :cyclops: .... no he didnt... :clap: :clap:
He told me that this is not the easiest of colours to do for someone starting off. This is because a basecoat of silver is required before the candy apple red could be put down (candy apple red is transparent he said :-k) This however did not deter me from having this beautiful colour, i wanted it and thats that. So i asked him if he could do a package for me, primer, silver, candy apple and lacquer.
3 days and £230 later....

2.5 litres Grey Primer
2.5 litres Candy glitter silver
4 litres Candy apple red
5 litres Lacquer
All in ready to paint, just needs a firm mix before opening.

Total spend - £405.00 and a big smile on my head!!!!
i like MR2
ashley

Post by ashley »

I admire your ambition! Candy Apple is a biatch to spray, you have to be really careful with the angle and direction you spray with to get an even effect...not easy!

Good luck- it'll be stunning if you get it right :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Fair play mate, hope it all turns out good. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Good luck.. :thumleft:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

You can do it :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

Really enjoying this and good luck with it.

I can't believe how much you picked up that car port for :D
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

go for it best way to learn keep us all posted
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
al/c

car painting

Post by al/c »

hi mate, i,m only in bolton and have sprayed my own cars & bikes, if you want a hand pm me as i may be able to use a unit to do her inside. i done one of my bikes in candy apple red and it,s probably one of the hardest systems to spray. just redone my 2 in pearl white check my garage. so happy to help you out if you want. :thumleft: p.s. i have all my own professional spray gear. Alex.
lufcraigyg

Post by lufcraigyg »

admire your courage. I will be watching your progress closely :D
v1xz

Re: car painting

Post by v1xz »

al/c wrote:hi mate, i,m only in bolton and have sprayed my own cars & bikes, if you want a hand pm me as i may be able to use a unit to do her inside. i done one of my bikes in candy apple red and it,s probably one of the hardest systems to spray. just redone my 2 in pearl white check my garage. so happy to help you out if you want. :thumleft: p.s. i have all my own professional spray gear. Alex.

Awww man why am i not getting notifications from this thread... could have used your help...
i like MR2
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

Once the paint was delivered i knew there was no going back... :pray:
Even tried to sell the paint off to get myself out of this headache i had created but thanks to Pete @ Sbits who closed my thread down i knew i was doomed and had to carry on. (he closed my thread because i had listed it as i was selling it for a friend, so not really his fault but thank you Pete)

So a week or so later i primed the car, 2 coats. Here he is masking taken off, ready to sand and wash:

Vehicle was then sanded with 600 & 800 grit wet until it was super smooth.
Then came the first coats of what was the beginning of the candies...
Glittery silver candy...
By far i think this was the most enjoyable colour, haven't seen a 2 in this colour. Wish id kept this and just lacquered over it... Job done!!!

Was told this cellulose paint dries quick and i only have 40min-1hr to get my red on after silver as it would not stick... I wasnt gonna do otherwise and ruin my project...

First glimps of candy red after 4 coats of red and 5 coats of lacquer..
I know it looks orange, thats due to it being in the red tent, iphone camera isnt very good... ](*,) #-o

i like MR2
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

It look semi okay in the tent, wait till i got it out in the sun light:

Yep, you guessed it, patchy...
On that bomb shell back to the drawing board...
i like MR2
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

So i had to buy some more Red and Lacquer, £68 for 2.5 litres of red and 2.5 litres lacquer.
Another week later i began work on sanding the car back down with 1200 grit wet. Just to get the lacquer to paint over...

One piece of advice, never paint in the wet or if the weather is going to be wet as it causes way too much problems. As i was paint the car for the second time i got what is called blooming area's. Basically its due to the wet conditions and moisture getting behind the lacquer... =; So yes stop i did before i wasted my paint.

2 Weeks have gone now and the weather doesnt seem to be looking any better... Until today \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Oh yes i completed the car today...
Im not entirely happy with the finish, the lacquer now looks patchy. All the car is covered in Candy red but i just cant seem to get that 'wet look'.

Im watching tips on how to cut and polish the car. Hoping this will solve my patchy Lacquer look...
Well thats it for me, my project is over. Ive got the wheels to do, 30mm spacers to put on the rear and a clutch to fit. Then its off to the selling room but i will update later, much later when i have recovered all my brain cells from the cellulose damage ive been subjected to. All together i have spent £518+ a little bit more.
Conclusion: I would do this again, yes its not a professional job and i would like it to be but beggars cant be choosers. If i was to do this again, i would most definitely stop at the glittery silver candy. It really is an awesome colour and haven't seen a 2 in that colour... Maybe my next cheap and cheerful project... :-k :-k :-k

Straight out the car port:

The 2 getting wash gingerly:

Dryed and parked up. Ready to take me to work tomorrow... :mrgreen:
i like MR2
ashley

Post by ashley »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not bad for a first attempt my friend- I'm impressed :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”