MK2 N/A Diff Query (with pics)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveHo

MK2 N/A Diff Query (with pics)

Post by SteveHo »

Hi,

It appears I do not have enough posts to add links to pictures, so I will try and describe.

I just got hold of 2 import n/a gearboxes. One is a rev 2 the other is a rev 3.

The rev 3 box has a bar in the centre of the diff, and if I put a driveshaft in one side (with the box in gear) and turn it the other side turns in the opposite direction. Which to me denotes an open diff.

The rev 2 box has no bar but has a circular hole about the size of a 1 pence piece (if you remember them), and if I put a driveshaft in one side and turn it the other side turns in the same direction. I was not expecting that!

Reading through old threads there seems to be conflicting advice as to what will definitively test for a LSD in an n/a. Does the above conclude anything or is the only sure fire way to find out by driving the car and seeing how it reacts?
Draven

Re: MK2 N/A Diff Query (with pics)

Post by Draven »

You need 15 posts to put pictures up. :mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

If you rotate the wheels..

If one wheel is turning clockwise and the other is turning anticlockwise then you've not got an LSD.

if you turn the wheel clockwise and the other wheel also turns clockwise you've got an LSD

simples.. :mrgreen:
SteveHo

Post by SteveHo »

Thanks, looks like I need to post more :)

I was getting conflicting comments on other threads when I searched about the wheel spinning test and whether it was conclusive or not, but you sound confident so will go with that.

Cheers
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Draven is right, I've got a rev 3 g limited and no LSD, my wheels turn opposite to each other
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

If its a factory viscous LSD, the wheels will turn opposite, can't check for a viscous LSD that way.
SteveHo

Post by SteveHo »

That is what some of the other posts were saying when I searched. It appears there are conflicting views.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Just to confuse issues further if it's a torsen diff such as the mk3 mr2 diff then the wheels won't do anything different when spinning freely the diff only acts under load
SteveHo

Post by SteveHo »

Ok, so it appears this thread is going the way of the others and obviously for good reason as it appears there is no definitive, easy answer and depends on the type of diff fitted.

Just to keep this on track with the original post and to be sure, does the above rotational differences of the two gearboxes in my original post tell me anything (i.e. one has differing rotations from opposite shafts and the other both shafts rotate in the same direction) or is the only way for me to be sure by either opening up the box or fitting it on the car and testing it on the road?

Both boxes are import n/a.

Thanks

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”