individual throttle bodies

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

emir

individual throttle bodies

Post by emir »

After countless hours on the net looking into everything about the mk1 mr2 while waiting for summer to come, I got interested into itbs.

What do I need to do it on my 16v NA mk1b? So far i figured I need the itbs from the 20v 4age silvertop, an adapter and a standalone ECU. do i need anything else? (this is already a lot of money :)
My question is, is there a tried and tested way or a most popular setup that is relatively easy to set up yet works great. I have seen countless different options, but am wondering which one would be the best balance of cost/result.
Thanks and cheers.
PW@Woodsport

Re: individual throttle bodies

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I honestly wouldn't waste your money, although my thoughts on the subject of 4a-ge tuning are about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit here, the fact remains you will spend a lot of money getting very little gain.

Save up for the real performance adders otherwise enjoy it as it is would be my advice.
emir

Post by emir »

I read your other posts in topics related to itbs and decided to delay this for now. Its a lot of money, and to be honest, the sound (almost made me cry...too good) and throttle response seems to be the biggest gain. power gains come only after even more money. i first need to get my car perfect in its stock form and only then think about the best way to improve it further.
thanks, a I can lay it to rest..for now
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Good decision :thumleft: they do sound good though.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Do any of the MR2 / ae86 / 4a-ge forums have any info about bike carb swaps? Surely someone has done it on the cheap by now?

When we got our rally car it was running on a standard ecu (but modified loom) and weber 45s, putting out 137bhp at the wheels I seem to remember.

Surely something can be done with bike carbs?!?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I used a set of bike carbs many many years ago on a 4a-ge, but used them just as throttle bodies, i converted them by removing the pistons, blocking off ports and taking their fuelling duties away, so the cars fuel injection system still provided the fuel, made my own inlet manifold, mounted the TPS on the spindle etc

It worked but there was no gain, therein lies the problem, to take advantage of TBs you need fuelling to match, which means a standalone ECU, then cams etc.... it all starts to become a very costly excercise, end result is a 20-30bhp gain over stock if you're lucky.

Just not worth the grief and cost involved doing it all. We are pretty spoiled by the fact the stock 4a-ge is already a pretty trick little motor in a high state of factory tune.
AW11mike

Post by AW11mike »

RAW STRIKER, are the best people to talk to for tuning the 4A-GE. They use them in there race cars. I've had lots of good advice from them.
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

After countless hours on the net looking into everything about the mk1 mr2 while waiting for summer to come, I got interested into itbs.

I had the same idea 2years ago but since I have a original big port blue top in my car I was looking for a specific 4A-GE as a starting base for a ITB setup. The engine I was searching was was a 7rib non T-VIS from a '92 Corolla but after 6months searching I could find a Black Top with C56 gearbox (+torsen diff) so I ended with 20 valves in stead of 16...

To complete the project I bought a Megasquirt ECU (for the ITB mode) but the timing belt of the Blue top snapped last year in April (my fault, I probably over tighten it :oops: ) so the Black Top project needed to be speed up!

So far the engine is completely overhauled, cable harness is done, Megasquirt is up and running and bench tested with all the sensors and I'm now waiting to for the C56 gearbox to be transformed from FF layout to MR layout. After this the complete powertrain can go back in the AW11 and the real work can start...testing the Megasquirt with a running engine and finally tune it completly... 8-[

So in the end, I have to admit Paul is right and altough I did a lot myself it is quite an amount of effort, money, time for very little gain but I really wanted to keep a 4A-GE in the AW11 and I see it more as a hobby project rather than a quest to maximum HP.

I will keep you informed of the progress...

As for your decision, I think it is a good way of thinking, first get the car right then put more HP! And it will already cost you a lot to get the car in great shape!

Cheers,
Frank
emir

Post by emir »

FrankBelgium wrote:

I had the same idea 2years ago but since I have a original big port blue top in my car I was looking for a specific 4A-GE as a starting base for a ITB setup. The engine I was searching was was a 7rib non T-VIS from a '92 Corolla but after 6months searching I could find a Black Top with C56 gearbox (+torsen diff) so I ended with 20 valves in stead of 16...

To complete the project I bought a Megasquirt ECU (for the ITB mode) but the timing belt of the Blue top snapped last year in April (my fault, I probably over tighten it :oops: ) so the Black Top project needed to be speed up!

So far the engine is completely overhauled, cable harness is done, Megasquirt is up and running and bench tested with all the sensors and I'm now waiting to for the C56 gearbox to be transformed from FF layout to MR layout. After this the complete powertrain can go back in the AW11 and the real work can start...testing the Megasquirt with a running engine and finally tune it completly... 8-[

So in the end, I have to admit Paul is right and altough I did a lot myself it is quite an amount of effort, money, time for very little gain but I really wanted to keep a 4A-GE in the AW11 and I see it more as a hobby project rather than a quest to maximum HP.

I will keep you informed of the progress...

As for your decision, I think it is a good way of thinking, first get the car right then put more HP! And it will already cost you a lot to get the car in great shape!

Cheers,
Frank

Yeah, i am slowly realising that. I am a bit picky, but I am already having trouble even imagining all the things I want done. So many things, so little knwoledge on my part :) I do have the enthusiasm, hope it doesnt dry out :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You really need to look at the AE86 forums for info on 4AGE tuning. You can't get on the Irish one without an AE86, but the Euro forum is a great source of info:

http://www.aeu86.org
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
gon

Post by gon »

Lauren wrote:You really need to look at the AE86 forums for info on 4AGE tuning. You can't get on the Irish one without an AE86, but the Euro forum is a great source of info:

http://www.aeu86.org

I have a full ITB setup for the 16v big port on the forum mentioned above.

I can help you set it up and even provide the rough megasquirt maps if you are interested (independently of where u get the parts from).

I got 170bhp with those parts on full standard bottom block ... I know its not much but like said before it was more of a hobby than anything else ... I learnt a lot and the sound was indeed amazing

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”