alternator pivot bolt siezed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Zeppozen

alternator pivot bolt siezed

Post by Zeppozen »

3SFE engine but not sure that makes difference.

Trying to change alternator, but bottom pivot bolt has siezed and bolt head rounded.
Its a long thin bolt that threads into other end of " U " style bracket.

When i pivot alternator the bolt turns with it. But when i lock it all out I cannot get the bolt to crack free.

However it is so inaccessible that even if i get Mole grips on it there is minimum purchase.

Heat or cutting ?

I desperately need help from anyone who can suggest ways to free the bolt and remove it.

The bolt head is approx 10mm form the bracket so not sure if someone has botched its assembly.

BUT any help on how to destroy or free this death bolt will be appreciated.

Also where can i get replacement bolt.

If cant remove bolt cant remove alternator = cant remove alt bracket = car is useless and unsaleable.?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: alternator pivot bolt siezed

Post by Peter Gidden »

The bolt is seized in the alternator due to corrossion - not uncommon. Heat on the alternator where the bolt passes through will nearly always solve the problem.

If not, its subframe off, driveshaft out and remove alternaotr with mounting bracket.
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

BTW

The only threaded portion is on the inboard lug of the alternator support bracket.
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

well, 2 garage mechanics and a garage owner mechanic later and Im losing the will to support MR2 MK2's ( day of ridicule)

The pivot bolt not only is in theee most inaccesible place, the head is rounded.
Its impossible to get a socket onto it as the inner wing panel ( behind the strut is in the way and even if I do "crack" the rusted seal we are not certain that the bolt can be removed as panel in the way !!

All garages said using Heat was a definate NO NO as the car would go up in flames, plus there is limited access to get to it.

Everyone at a loss as to what to do to "free" up rusted bolt. ( only rusted / sticking in the alternator sleeve part) as it moves back and forth on bracket.
Mole Grips ? maybe but no purchase or room.
Grip Bolt sockets ...no room to get a ratchet onto socket !!!

Weld a "T " type bar onto bolt head ?

No Room to get at Mounting Bracket Bolts ...and taking subframne / driveshaft out was met with pure laughter and WTF faces ...taking engine out was offered as easirer option..but for an alternator ?

Suggestions please or Offers for a useless MR2 sitting on the drive :mad:

So now left with a rounded bolt which is 10 mm away from alt bracket, head rounded and no way of getting it free or out .

So basically the car is Scrap for want of one Bolt !!!

Im normally upbeat as a design engineer , but this has me in utter dismay !!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Where are you based? Anywhere near me? This is such a basic problem, the type which we come across every week.

Your mechanic is a xxxx. Gently heating the seizure point will cause no fire. There are no fuel lines anywhere near the alternator.

As for the driveshaft/subframe solution - still only an hour's work to remove. And did they have any better solution?

Sounds like they prefer sitting on they're butts doing nothing instead of getting the job fixed.
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

Thank you Peter,

unfortunately im in Scotland.

Im with you on the Heat issue and will look out for a wee burner.

Getting purchase and access to the head of the rounded bolt is the biggest issue, so will have to rethink that.

Hopefully it will not come to dropping subframe, but even if it does I still cant access bracket mounting bolts.

Im picking up new bolts from Toyota tomorrow, so will have another go at it again later.

Thank you again for help and advice,
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Once you have the subframe and driveshaft out, the alternator will swing down giving you full access to the bolts.

We've had to do that on more than one occassion.
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

I can't see how you can't get a socket onto the head? Remove the rear wheel put a socket on the head (An Irwin bolt grip remover) - then put an extension bar onto a breaker bar? Simple. plenty of access.

The pivot bolt is ALWAYS removed using a socket and extension with the wheel removed. There is no other way.

I can only imagine that the geometry on the 3S-FE is slightly different. Removing the engine mount throughbolt on the offside and lowering the engine would definately give sufficient clearence.
Last edited by going4the1 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

going4the1 wrote:The pivot bolt is ALWAYS removed using a socket and extension with the wheel removed. There is no other way.

Oh dear. I used a ratchet spanner last week. Best i get the car back in and do it properly.
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Did I say ALWAYS?

:oops:

(Ahh... But would that work on a rounded head?)
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Zeppozen wrote:
All garages said using Heat was a definate NO NO as the car would go up in flames, plus there is limited access to get to it.

PMSL.......this is so funny !!!

They must be bloody dangerous with most tools if they can't apply a bit of heat to a bolt with a blowtorch !

Just buy your own blow torch(plumbing) from B&Q or wherever and spend a few minutes heating before cracking off the bolt.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Just got my bolt out at last today....it was such a sod the bolt head is at a funny angle and the bolt has twisted a few rotations along the way (ie sctatches on the bolt go from straight, to a helix!).

It took:
- Breaker bar with 6-side impact socket
- 30sec of blowtorch results in 10sec of time where the bolt was free enough to turn
- Lump hammer and punch to drive the bolt out (plus heat).
- 12 goes per revolution of the bolt, switching the socket 90' on the bar each time!!!!!

It would have been faster and easier to remove the offending bit of the alternator with a die grinder!
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

Tried everything and gave best to the Garage I normally use.

Full credit to the guys who heat, ground and blood sweat and tears to get the old one out. Not many garages these days will give you teh " special" treatment these cars often need.

Most garages just say tut tut teeth suck and say ....nah we it will need new bits etc.

They are becoming experts on the MK2 now , and looked after my MK1

Thanks for everyones help just the same.

It is THEE worst jobt of any part changes on MR2 's I believe.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

whereabouts are you based in Scotland and what garage did you eventually use?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”