Turbo or na

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andy_mr2_1987

Turbo or na

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

I'm looking at getting a mr2.

I just can't decide whether to get a na or turbo.

I will be using it as a daily driver and i am swaying towards the na thinking it will be easier to fix and maintain should I get any problems. Am I right in thinking this?

What are your thoughts?
craig

Re: Turbo or na

Post by craig »

Turbo! 8)
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Turbo, unless you want more mpg & cheaper insurance. But whatever you do don't buy a cheap & poorly maintained turbo.
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Turbo if you buy an na, a year down the line you will wish you got a tubby.

Test drive a na then test drive a tubby.

The only other consideration is insurance, but if your old then that's not an issue.
Donato

Post by Donato »

Depends on how deep your pockets are :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

go off condition rather than spec, id rather have a nice well maintained N/A than a battered turbo, I have driven a rev 1 and rev 2 N/A and a rev 1 turbo on circuit and road and they are both just as fun to drive as each other they just have different perks
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Echo the above, but id rarther have a well maintained turbo than a well maintained N/A... :whistle: :lol:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Adam86 wrote:Turbo, unless you want more mpg & cheaper insurance. But whatever you do don't buy a cheap & poorly maintained turbo.

defo in the case of the turbo models but tbh that applies to the n/a's too. As ever these cars are getting on and rust is becoming a problem on all years of mk2's, ah how my old departed mk1 is smiling from beyond the grave..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I second that :thumleft:
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

MR2.. Dailly driver.. Hmm haha! I got through a lot of fuel when I had my turbo as a daily drive, my old NA which I did a lot of mileage in needed a lot of work keeping it maintained.. Buy a cheap one you will be replacing things and fixing up, trust me that`s how mine have been. Buy a well maintained one and things will be better, but the winter is not fun in a MK2 MR2 as a daily drive especially on a cold icey or snowy morning if you are in a rush to get to work!

NA is fun, Turbo is more fun! Bit of a myth about Turbos being more to maintain if you ask me, turbo replacement can be expensive I guess but apart from that standard parts costs are similar for both. Insurance probably will be more on the Turbo.. And the modding bug is especially great with turbo ownership!

For daily drive I`d say.. Don`t buy an MR2!HA! :lol: If it has to be and you really want one as a daily the NA is slightly more sensible option, but Turbo has the power and will make you smile more often for sure.
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah, I couldn't do with an MR2 as a daily. Sod that.

1 Series Beemer M sport for our daily. mmmmmm, Comfy! 8)
JD

Post by JD »

If you're daily drive is just pootling round town then I don't think there's much difference in MPG? Didn't seem so for me.

I will echo comments about shells - most live outside and any that have for a considerable period will be rotten throughout - have a very good look and unless you can get a good deal that takes into account welding costs, I'd steer very clear of bubbly outer sills. When I bought my Rev 3 it needed some TLC so I just factored that in and ended up paying overall what I would have paid for a clean car so if you want to go that route it's alright but it can be difficult to ascertain how bad the rot is from the kind of inspections you can get away with on a private sale. that said, good sellers will let you prod about quite a lot. if i were to sell mine i'd expect a buyer to want to prod about quite a bit, check turbo, check for turbo oil leaks, poke a spanner into the sills, pour a jug of water over the tbars :) etc etc
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Everyone's right here. Its all about finding a good car, regardless of its engine power. I've had four N/As and one turbo and I loved the turbo because of its raw power and the sounds of its dump valve. However, I have an N/A as a daily and I love it. I look forward to the drive to and from work but I'd struggle with affording to run a turbo on both fuel and insurance. Sure, the N/A isn't as fast, or as fun in a straight line but its still a beautiful car to drive but using it as a daily you rarely get the chance to open them up anyway and if you do at the weekend you just have to learn where the power lies in the rev range. You really have to drive them.

Price wise, you can get a rev3 turbo for the same price as a rev5 N/A. Its just about how old you want to go and what money you have to spend.

Regardless which you choose though, its worth waiting for a good one like I did this time around. You really do get what you pay for. Don't be attracted by cheap cars. And don't buy from a garage as you'll end up paying an extra grand.
andy_mr2_1987

Post by andy_mr2_1987 »

Thanks for all the great advice, very much appreciated :-)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Oh yeah nearly forgot, make sure the engine is not a 3SFE!! If the car has no spoiler or fogs and ESPECIALLY if it has a dodgy blue interior... :lol:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Drive an NA and Turbo. Then buy the turbo hehe (if you can get the insurance).

For me the mr2 turbo has been a comfy reliable daily driver for many years.
synXero

Post by synXero »

I had daily driver MR2s from 17 to 21. They are perfectly fine for it!!

N/A and Beams though, no turbos.

Buy what you can afford to insure, maintain and repair!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Turbo :thumleft:

I used one as my daily for a year and been fine with it! Mpg is decent on motorways but around town it will feel like your never out the petrol station. Worth it imo for the joy of boost though.
Dont forget the insurance will be dearer than n/a and all turbos are jap imports too unless its a uk conversion.
dmac

Post by dmac »

Turbo all the way no point in not buying a turbo unless your afraid of the power

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”