Wet carpets passenger side

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hellreign

Wet carpets passenger side

Post by hellreign »

Hi All, hope you all had a good xmas

My car has been getting very misty/wet windows over the last week or so. literally having to wipe down the windscreen with a cloth and the tbar glass (I'd removed the sun panels) as they're sopping wet and the heaters take for ever to remove it.

finally got my ar$e and investigated today and found the passenger carpet was quite damp (and the car smells damp when you get in) but the mat on top was quite dry.

any pointers? I've not noticed the Tbar leaking, so guessing it could be duff heater matrix, or coming in from else where? the carpet was wettest near the seat/door area, and weirdly along the trans tunnel

I've seen the Pingi post so may get one of them, but would like to solve/find the leak

thanks
HighwayStar

Re: Wet carpets passenger side

Post by HighwayStar »

Could still be the t-bars leaking... water can be very difficult to spot. Rain after its entry through a poor seal runs down the inside of interior trim completely invisible externally till it's deposited at floor level. Get the trim off down to floor level then get someone to play a hose very slowly and methodically over the car whilst you carefully observe. Check the rear side windows as well. On the earlier cars there is a seal which can perish, later cars were bonded but still with age leaks can develop. Likewise check the windscreen.
The carpets wetness only shows the final destination of the fluid.
Good luck.

R.

PS. Put your finger into the wet and taste it (then spit it out). If it's sweet it could well be coolant and thus a problem with the matrix. Again a removal of trim and a run with blowers on full should help identify it. More likely a water leak though since it's developed in recent wet weather.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

As your car is so wet inside, if the car has aircon you will need to use that all the time as well as the hot air from the heater to dry it out this time of year. Direct the air to the floor and not just the windscreen.
Maybe go for longer drives and on a dry day have the windows open to get fresh air in.

Also consider the following.

With the car door open, you should see a dirty line on the bodywork where the door seals meet the bodywork and stop the road spray/grime coming into the car.

Also check the plastic strips near the door hinges are fitted properly.

Any gaps between the door window and the A pillar and B pillar rubber? If you have gaps here then rain, mist and fog can all get in, which could be how it is getting onto your trans tunnel.
projectprelude

Post by projectprelude »

Try the plastic triangle vent by the rear side window
burtosa

waterleak

Post by burtosa »

looking for waterleak i had similar problem no sign of leak
try removing plastic panel running from t bar at side of windscreen to glove box
water dripped inside panel causing problem amazed how ?
might be worth a look cured mine good luck

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”