[Mk2] [Generic] 8.5j front and 9.5j rear, how to make them fit??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SrSilkie

[Mk2] [Generic] 8.5j front and 9.5j rear, how to make them fit??

Post by SrSilkie »

Hi,

Ok so im looking at a set of wheels for my mk2 at the moment. The wheels are 17" 8.5j fronts and 9.5j rears, ET35 all round. Now I have done a fair bit of research and punched the values into this calculator:

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

Front Values:

Tire Width: 215 Sidewall: 40 T/W Height: 17 Wheel Width: 8.5 Offset:35

Rear Values:

Tire Width: 245 Sidewall: 35 T/W Height: 17 Wheel Width: 9.5 Offset:35

MR2 (mkii) Flushness:
Your proposed front wheel will be 6.7 mm farther out than flush (flush offset: 41.7).
Your proposed front is 0.7 mm into the suspension!
Your proposed rear wheel will be 6.7 mm farther out than flush (flush offset: 41.7).

Wheel Comparison:
Your proposed front wheel will stick out 41.75 mm farther than your old wheel.
Your proposed rear wheel will stick out 41.75 mm farther than your old wheel.

I will be running these with meister zeta r coilovers with standard arches.

From what I have read I can expect them to perhaps foul the coilovers? and as they protrude the arch can expect them to hit the arches? I of course want none of those things to occur. What are my options apart from a different set of wheels.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks
gavsdavs

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] 8.5j front and 9.5j rear, how to make them fit??

Post by gavsdavs »

I would pick a 7.5 front if you can.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Alternatively if you're mega sure on the wheels / got them cheap / want them more than anything in the world, remember it's the tyres that foul the arches or the struts, not usually the wheels. You could fit smaller tyres either in height or in width. Particularly on the front, I doubt you'd want narrower than 215 on an 8.5" rim, but you could hypothetically fit less tall tyres if it was worth that much to you!

Your other options are to select narrower wheels, which would be the right decision. In reality they are just too wide for an MR2. Not least of all, you could fit these size of tyres onto wheels that were narrower - thereby having lighter wheels. What's not to like? I suppose the only thing you lose is the bragging right of having almost-10s on the rear. Not worth much to me personally.

I think to fit these exact wheels with these exact spec tyres, you're going to need to do work to the arches and possibly space out the wheels / reduce the offset, if they do indeed foul your coilovers.

I am also afraid to say it but I am fairly sure the accuracy of Gordaen's calculator isn't quite perfect! If you try it out with wheels you already own, I feel like it isn't quite bang on. Maybe just me.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I just really like them and would like to make them work. They are rare wheels and the widths arent ideal I know, im not interested in having wide wheels I just like them hence I want them to work. Those tyres were just a rough guestimate but true I wouldnt want less that 215 on the front.

What are the options with regards to negative camber baring in mind I dont want to have a ridiculous stance to make them fit.

Rolling the arches is something I would consider but would rather not do.

The guy who owns them however says he has no issues. Not sure if he has had arch work and is running tein coilovers
Nic

Post by Nic »

The Meister coilovers should give you better inner clearance as the springs are narrower than stock. Getting the arches pulled and rolled should give you enough outer clearance.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

basically those wheels require a lot of work to the car to make them fit and whats the point in wide rims if you're gonna stick skinny tyres on them to fit without rubbing. All you have is a stretched tyre that doesn't protect the rim from potholes, kerbs and anything else on the road. I have 8/9 same offset and had to roll the rears to make them fit and a stupid 215x40 tyre on the front that looks imho crap. Std bodywork with no work involved, 7/8 or 7.5/8.5 ET 35 should fit without issues BUT, it's your car and your money so go for it and mind and post pics :thumleft:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Cheers guys for the advice and I have thought about it. I really would rather not have work done to the arches now, I dont really like to remove a car from standard form unless it can be reverted.

It sounds like a lot of extra hassle without any gain.
synXero

Post by synXero »

raptor95GTS wrote:basically those wheels require a lot of work to the car to make them fit and whats the point in wide rims if you're gonna stick skinny tyres on them to fit without rubbing. All you have is a stretched tyre that doesn't protect the rim from potholes, kerbs and anything else on the road.

Absolutely :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

WilkieGT wrote:Cheers guys for the advice and I have thought about it. I really would rather not have work done to the arches now, I dont really like to remove a car from standard form unless it can be reverted.

It sounds like a lot of extra hassle without any gain.

I've had http://www.archenemy.co.uk/ do my old car and my new one was done by them from a previous owner.

Honestly you cant tell theyve done anything unless you knew what you were looking for, plus they do a great job seam sealing everything up afterwards. For 90 quid the job was very well done.
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Just seeing this now, there is a lot of nonsense being talked in here tbh.
If you want advice on fitment, this is not the place to look.
Prior to running my 17" 8.5j and 9.5j + 35 wheels I had another set which were 8j and 9j +35 on my tein superstreet coilovers and these also fit with no problems.

The tyres I ran on both sets are 215/40/17 and 245/40/17 which are hardly skinny.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

infamous, appreciate you might have run those wheels but with those tyre sizes? Yeah that's skinny esp the fronts but hey as said it's his car so he can do what he wants, which is fit and forget with no mods :)

Return to “Modifications”