e51 gearbox problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dimitriske30

e51 gearbox problem

Post by dimitriske30 »

well my friends, after rebuilding my e51 gearbox my shift lever is sitting fronter than before so 1st 3rd and 5th gear cannot get in place correctly. To make you understand the neutral lever position is now at place where the 3rd's gear position was before. Does anyone knows what I make wrong when assembling the tranny?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: e51 gearbox problem

Post by LimeyMk1 »

What shift linkages (cables) are you using Dimitri? Are they from the non Supercharged Mk1?

I've had to modify my shift linkages to fit my E153 gearbox in my MK1
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

LimeyMk1 wrote:What shift linkages (cables) are you using Dimitri? Are they from the non Supercharged Mk1?

I've had to modify my shift linkages to fit my E153 gearbox in my MK1

This is a supercharger car and it was working before one week for daily car, I have just disassembly the tranny to fit lsd diff, and by the way I repalced the sychros
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Okie, only thing I can think of is maybe getting the cables the wrong way round. :-k

If you pop the cables off at the gearbox end can you still select the gears by moving the shift levers on the gearbox?
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

LimeyMk1 wrote:Okie, only thing I can think of is maybe getting the cables the wrong way round. :-k

If you pop the cables off at the gearbox end can you still select the gears by moving the shift levers on the gearbox?

The cables are in the right position, yes when I pop the cables off all the levers can select all the gears.Any ideas?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

If you can select all gears with cables not attached, then gearbox internals are all OK.

That leaves the externalshift components.

Have you changed the drop arm that is locked to the selector shaft?
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If you can select all gears with cables not attached, then gearbox internals are all OK.

That leaves the externalshift components.

Have you changed the drop arm that is locked to the selector shaft?

No I havent, I would like also to say that this was a working gearbox.The car was daily driven, I only disassmbly this to change diff to lsd, and by the way I cahnge the synchros to the new titanium coated upgraded from toyota. I haven't change anything else, cables are also the saem and I didn't remove them from the car.I 'm thinking only that the locking bolts of the drop arm of the selector may have put back by the wrong side,may this cause the problem?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

If the drop arm is not in the correct position on the selector rod it will cause the problem you have.
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If the drop arm is not in the correct position on the selector rod it will cause the problem you have.

Yes the drop arm seems to need 2-3 mm move to the left side.What else could be????what else....really need help.Its a pain to remove again the tranny from the car and I want to avoid this proccedure if it is maybe something simple.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

There should be no reason to have to remove transmission from car.

If you can select all gears by hand, the gearbox must be correct internally.

You problem must therefore exisit outside the gearbox.
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:There should be no reason to have to remove transmission from car.

If you can select all gears by hand, the gearbox must be correct internally.

You problem must therefore exisit outside the gearbox.

I also think that the parts inside the tower of the gearbox cannot assembled with wrong way, tower I mean the housing of the shiffting arm-shaft, I hope that you understand me. Can you think of anything else?I can adjust the cables from inside the cabin, but I want to see whats wrong because for sure something has assembled with wrong way.
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

dimitriske30 wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If the drop arm is not in the correct position on the selector rod it will cause the problem you have.

Yes the drop arm seems to need 2-3 mm move to the left side.What else could be????what else....really need help.Its a pain to remove again the tranny from the car and I want to avoid this proccedure if it is maybe something simple.

Is the drop arm held on with a cotter pin the same as the C52 - could you have put the cotter pin through the wrong way?
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

scomr2 wrote:
dimitriske30 wrote:

Is the drop arm held on with a cotter pin the same as the C52 - could you have put the cotter pin through the wrong way?

Yes this is exactly the same with c52. This is my thought, I also think that this is the problem, I think that the pin is installed with the wrong way,It has been installed from left to right but I should install this from right to left.Is this right?does anyone can remember the way of this pin?
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

dimitriske30 wrote:
scomr2 wrote:
dimitriske30 wrote:

Yes this is exactly the same with c52. This is my thought, I also think that this is the problem, I think that the pin is installed with the wrong way,It has been installed from left to right but I should install this from right to left.Is this right?does anyone can remember the way of this pin?

Do the images on this site help http://aw11.scratchbyte.com/?p=99&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

I cannot see the pin i these images but tommorow I will change the direction of the pin and I will inform you about the results.Thanks for the help.
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

dimitriske30 wrote:I cannot see the pin i these images but tommorow I will change the direction of the pin and I will inform you about the results.Thanks for the help.

Problem solved.....it was silly simple, the pin's direction was opposite, I couldn't imagine that this pin could move the arm for 2-3 mm and these 3 mm could make so serious problem. Thanks again for your useful opinion, they all helped me.
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

Excellent - glad you got it sorted :clap:

Simon.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

dimitriske30 wrote:
dimitriske30 wrote:I cannot see the pin i these images but tommorow I will change the direction of the pin and I will inform you about the results.Thanks for the help.

Problem solved.....it was silly simple, the pin's direction was opposite, I couldn't imagine that this pin could move the arm for 2-3 mm and these 3 mm could make so serious problem. Thanks again for your useful opinion, they all helped me.

Told you the problem was with the drop arm! Well done. :thumleft:
dimitriske30

Post by dimitriske30 »

Told you the problem was with the drop arm! Well done. :thumleft:[/quote]

Yes but I couldn't imagine it, thanks, your help was very usefull

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”