Nankang NS-II's

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GHOST

Nankang NS-II's

Post by GHOST »

My new acquisition is clad in Nankang Ultra Sport NS-2's on the rear. 245/40/17's.

I had a set of bog standard Nankangs on a previous MR2 and they tried to kill me. Over the last few years I've worn nothing but Toyos on my MX5 and previous MR2's.

So, the question is, how good or bad are the NS-2's? They have excellent tread and a similar patten to the Toyos but I'm driving miss daisy at the moment because I don't trust the make. Are they high-end Nankangs?

I'd be looking at £150+ to replace them.

Cheers,

David
craig

Re: Nankang NS-II's

Post by craig »

I wouldn't have Nankangs anywhere near a car, especially a RWD sports car.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Thats what I thought mate.

bu88er. Looks like I'll be shelving out another £150ish then.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

GHOST wrote:high-end

GHOST wrote:Nankangs

Not sure the two go together. Except in the world of wheel barrows or rikshaws, neither i am an expert on.

Question: Are you happy relying on budget tyres on your mid-engined, 200bhp pride and joy?

Personally, i'd have nothing that isn't classed as a high performance tyre anywhere near either of my mid-engined cars.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Nankangs certainly can't be described as high end IMO they're the opposite,

I'm pretty sure that the VW scene are fans of them because they're easy to stretch onto wider wheels but by all accounts that's all they're good for,

If you're looking for decent tyres I'd recommend Uniroyal Rainsports especially as the winter's coming in,

Not as grippy as some alternatives in the dry but awesome in the wet and reasonably priced at Camskill too :-)
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

They are the worst budgets ever!!
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Yep, just reaffirming what I suspected. Had to ask, just in case the brand had changed since my last fateful encounter with them.

So, aside from my usual Toyo choice, what are a good set of all round tyres. Taking into account that I never, ever, push a car in the rain regardless

Luckily too, I live near to Camskill and that's where I normally buy tyres.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I'd say most people would say T1-R's but for my money I'd not get them for the rears as they're so soft they'd wear out too quickly

I'd take the Rainsports myself, a friend put them on his MX5 and loves them.
I've had them on my old Celica and will buy them again although I still maintain the best tyres I've had were Falken FK452's tbut they're discontinued :-(
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Yeah I presently have T1-R's on my mx5. Always found them good value and good grip. What other options are there? Had Uniroyal rains once and wasn't too impressed with them to be honest.
craig

Post by craig »

I personally like Falken tyres. :thumleft:
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

RedMR² wrote:I personally like Falken tyres. :thumleft:

+1 Im loving my 452s
Harold

Post by Harold »

I've run rainsport 2s on the rear for a couple of years and am very happy with them, great in the wet.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

OK, so Falcons Vs Toyos, pros and cons? Or just personal preference?
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Falken = not so grippy due to being a stiffer compound however they'll last longer,
Toyo = more sticky in the dry but will wear faster (I've been through a set of T1-R's in 4 months on my old Celica due to the shoulder blocks of the tyre being so soft)

This is also due to the softer rubber

If you're getting Falken's have a look at the 453 Azenis which is the replacement for the 452, they also do the 914 although this is more of an everyday tyre

I'd put Maxxis MA-Z1's on personally, lovely tread pattern, grippy and used by the guys in the BDC :-)
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Maxxis? I thought they were a budget tyre?
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

No less budget than the Falken's I'd imagine, if guys are using them in the BDC on 5-600bhp cars without many problems I can't see how they can be bad to be honest.

I've only heard good things about them and they come with a lifetime of the tyre guarantee so if there's a manufacturing fault with them Maxxis will replace / exchange them.
I can't think of any other manufacturers that do that?
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Hmm, interesting. Might check them out. The Toyos are almost 150 quid each :shock:
ayresyboy

Post by ayresyboy »

I've got NSII's on my mkIII V6. Went out for a hard run in the dry couple weeks back. They performed well. Black and round with good tread is what I say. :lol:
cosmos

Tyre recommendations

Post by cosmos »

90% of people who buy-buy again, quiet good in wet and dry conditions check them out on Youtube, medium priced tyre and good quality.

Vredestein Ultra Sessanta.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Can vouch for Ultrac Sessanta too. I have Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on my Audi and they grip really well in the wet but seem to wear a bit as a result. Running Eagle F1's on the rear of my tubby and they are quite good.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”