ODB or ODBII

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sterling01

ODB or ODBII

Post by sterling01 »

Does the MK2 rev 3 have an ODB connector? If so, where is it located?

Sorry if this is silly question?
jasongtr

Re: ODB or ODBII

Post by jasongtr »

no
synXero

Post by synXero »

The gen4 3S engines have J-OBD ports which torque pro can read obdii codes from.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

which adapter would be needed for torque pro to work?
shinny

Post by shinny »

h20490 wrote:which adapter would be needed for torque pro to work?

You don't have a gen4 engine, you have a gen3 engine. There is no adaptor that will talk to your phone... the ECU simply doesn't have an interface to plug into, let alone be capable of speaking the right protocol.

To get anything out of the ECU (beyond the diagnostics codes you read with your trusty paperclip) you will need to open up the ECU, solder some wires to it, construct some electronic interface the read the signals on the internal bus and then use a PC or micro-controller to talk to the ECU's micro-processor. I can point you in the direction of that information if you so wish...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

sterling01 wrote:Does the MK2 rev 3 have an ODB connector? If so, where is it located?

Absolutely not. Never. End of.

ISTR reading the BEAMS engine having an OBD port, but with limited functionality.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Depending on what you want it for I have a megasquirt currenlty fitted in parallel to the stock ECU and I am using Android as a digital dash. The MS is only doing boost control at the moment but its connected to the wideband, water temp, air temp, RPM, throttle position, vacuum/boost and a couple of other things which can all be mapped to the digital dash (and logged).
synXero

Post by synXero »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
sterling01 wrote:Does the MK2 rev 3 have an ODB connector? If so, where is it located?

Absolutely not. Never. End of.

ISTR reading the BEAMS engine having an OBD port, but with limited functionality.

Correct, you can read information like oil temperature and pressure, rpm, speed, any electrical information the ecu processes. You can also read OBDII codes. The crux of it is you need an app that can read early jap OBD. Not many can. Torque pro for android can. There is no app for iPhone that can. I learned this the hard way.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Thanks shinny!

Probably best to wait till I get a mappable ecu then rather than having to mess around and fiddle the ecu. To be fair I was actually just wanting it for diagnostic codes ad I'm lazy and prefer to see everything in the car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”