looking at a rebuild

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

the bear1986

looking at a rebuild

Post by the bear1986 »

hi there i have rev 2 turbo and i need the velves replaced on the bloce so im guessing rebuild. does anyone know the rough cost of a rebuild for these engines as the last time i had a rebuild was on my old scooby and that came to £4.5k

thanks in advance
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: looking at a rebuild

Post by toxo »

In English? There are no velves or bloces in your engine. I guess you meant valves and block, but there are no valves in the block, so that doesn't make sense either.

If it's just valves, then a head rebuild will do. MUCH cheaper. Mine cost me £150, but that didn't include taking the head off the engine and reinstalling it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

sorry was using my iphone now on my laptop lol. right ok well i was told that i was getting a lot of oil in my pipe to the intercooler and by pass valve. the chap who is working on my mr2 said if he takes the oil cap off the engine loses pressure and stalls. do you know what or have an idea what that means as im not clued up at all on these types of engines
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

All rev 2 turbos will stall when you. remove the oil cap the air goes in past the afm and messes the fuel ratio up

Oil in the inter cooler pipes Is not necessarily game over just means probably the turbo seals are passing a bit of oil what other symptoms are you getting for the mechanic to be suggesting a rebuild
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Sounds like you need to find a different mechanic. I find it amazing how many are prepared to guess at a fault then charge you for their time to fix it even when it does not work.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

He said that the car was stalling because the rocker gasket was leaking oil and pressure so that's all been fixed now but the car is running on its own compressing so that's why if he takes the oil cap off its stutters but once put on its fine. He said that the pressure is going past the piston rings is that possible? So I'm guessing its a head rebuild I need?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Excessive "blow by" i.e. combustion gasses passing by rings into sump and then out through breather will need a full rebuild, i.e. pistons/rings/rebore.

Head has nothing to do with a "blow by" problem.

Leakdown test would be a good start.

Wherabouts are you based?
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Deleted - duplicate post.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Rev 1/2 Turbo will stutter/stall when you take the cap off, that in itself is not a fault or an aid to diagnosing any other fault.

Get the fault diagnosed properly first before trying to fix it.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Hi Pete I'm based in Norwich. Is there any tests I can do or look out for to see if he is right? If that has happened what cost am I looking at for the rebuild?
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Can anyone help?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

the bear1986 wrote:Can anyone help?

I'll PM you.
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Hi pete haven't received a PM yet?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

the bear1986 wrote:Hi pete haven't received a PM yet?

Before you decide on the rebuild take it to Peter, it's likely to save you a lot of time and money.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

the bear1986 wrote:Can anyone help?

Probably yes, starting with the people who have answered this thread telling you that your mechanic is wasting your time and ending with your mechanic who wants to do costly unessesary work.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”