Rotten Floor (Advice PLEASE)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waggy79

Rotten Floor (Advice PLEASE)

Post by waggy79 »

Hi guys,
So i thought id check the floor panels in my AW11 as I'm slowly working my way through the car dealing with the rot, so removed the plastic holding the carpet down near the door to find a Giant poop stain of rust :( it looks bigger than what i was certainly hoping for, i need to know if this is structural and still safe, I've only got one picture of it atm & i also need to post more before loading URL's, so im not sure how i can show you that either but any advice would be good

thanks in advance
waggy

Image set as my Hilite pic at my garage on here (click on my car name to the left)
<----------
jimi

Re: Rotten Floor (Advice PLEASE)

Post by jimi »

waggy79

Post by waggy79 »

Thank you jimi :)
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

I have some surface rust on mine too which isnt as bad but be interested to know from others who have done it the best way of treating it
stenky

Post by stenky »

if its just surface, i would definitely treat it with some POR15 stuff
if it is rotten then cut and weld in some floor of better condition (from a breaker maybe?)
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

That needs a new floor. My first MR2 was similar. I discovered the issue when I tried to jack the car up. :mrgreen:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Welding in a new floor is a PITA as it's not flat.

That looks pretty bad. As Sy said, new floor. Check the rest of the car extensively for rust if you haven't already. If there's much more than that, you may be better re-shelling.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

hi , that is repairable and I've repaired a lot worse , it will have to be cut out and has all ready said use a doner floor pan but where the rot is climbing up the side of foot well cut out and look inside to see how bad the inner chassis is . i noticed yours is a sunroof and shouldn't be usually suffering corrosion there so you have a major leak you will have to find . it could be a few place around the front drives corner . 1 check the scuttle panel under the screen where the wiper arms run (rotten usually right in the corners and its the dash out to fix it ) .
remove wing and check A post at the top where water runs out from scuttle panel above ( you will usually see rust stains near the little fuse box ) but saying that you get the same rust stain marks from the wheel arch rotting out behind the plastic liner . my main concern would be front chassis section now ,if that's ok fix and enjoy .
waggy79

Post by waggy79 »

Thank you all for your replys.
I really don't want to lose her as she puts a smile on my face everytime I drive her, I'm gonna clean the area and try and see how far the rust goes and just hope I can fix it, what's chances I can find a cheap donor with a good floor?
I'll take pics of what I find as I find it, I'm no welder so this is gonna be done over a longish time scale as I'm not blessed with deep pockets either (sadly)
But seen as she's tax'd and tested for next few month I have a bit of time,

Thanks again
Waggy

Ps this isn't structural damage being where it is is it? I take my 4 year to school in the 2 but could use my other car if that's a possible issue
mk1 dal

Post by mk1 dal »

hi , have a drive out to me in buxton and i will have a good at it for you and tell you the best way to fix it .
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

Yeah I agree, check the front cross member too.

Might be worth checking around the drain plugs (1 near your feet and one under the seat if I remember correctly), just pull up the carpet once the seats are out. Since that was the source of some of my rust issues.

The thing is it's best getting it all sorted at once to minimise your work load and time off the road (my welder missed some bits and now I need to rip the interior back out.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”