[Mk2] [Turbo] Question about ABS ring

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sky-net

[Mk2] [Turbo] Question about ABS ring

Post by sky-net »

Hi!

I need your advice hoping you can help me.

Last month a rear wheel bearing went away... and my mechanic replaced it... but he damaged the ABS deflector

I've replaced the deflector by a new one... but the ABS warning sometimes lights on... and others not after driving for more than an hour

What do you think? I think i could have a damaged ABS ring

Is it possible to buy it as spare part?

I've searching a reference number at toyodiy without sucess

Many thanks in advance!!
MartinF

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Question about ABS ring

Post by MartinF »

Have you pulled the ABS fault codes to see what is causing the light to illuminate?
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

First port of call would be to whip the offending ABS sensor out of the hub (assuming it will come out, of course) and clean the face of it up. Even a small amount of contaminant can cause them to throw an error.

Whilst it's out, rotate the hub and visually check that the toothed ring is in an ok condition. Any damage to the tops of the teeth will again cause an error to be thrown up.

I'm not sure if it's a replaceable part, it's a while since I had a hub apart. Truth be told you might well be better off getting a good second hand hub and swapping it out...
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Many thanks for your replies.

As soon as i raise my post counter.. i'll show you a pic of the old and damaged dust deflector screwing the abs ring

Anyway... i've replaced the dust deflector by a new one. The abs ring has been cleaned too.

The abs fault code i got was "34". I've cleared the error codes. Let's see if this might help. I drove yesterday for a while and the abs light didn't turned on

Regards!
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I had no luck with this

After clearing error codes, i've been driving for almost 2 days without problems... until yesterday :-k

I'm getting the same error code and i've noticed the abs light uses to turn on randomly (sometimes it takes 5 minutes to light on... other times... more than 1 hour... other times... it doesn't light ) always at low speeds rather than high speeds

I think it's time to look for a second hand driveshaft

Meanwhile, i'll do what Slarty suggested

Thanks!!

Return to “Mechanical”