A squeak

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

edt

A squeak

Post by edt »

An annoying squeak from somewhere behind my head, when driving 60mph+

Same whether targa panels off or on.

I've pushed hard against all I can safely reach whilst driving with it not stopping.

Any thoughts?
97 Rev 4 UK car
MR2Pagey

Re: A squeak

Post by MR2Pagey »

Inside or outside of the car? If it's outside the car I'd check the engine inspection panels are seated properly and screwed down.
edt

Post by edt »

Sounds to me like from the rear of inside the cabin.. and quite high on driver's side . However I'll check as you suggest.. Cheers
edt

Post by edt »

Are these the 2 panels either side of the engine bay lid ... Body coloured?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

I have the same above 70, I think it's coming from quarter glass air vents, very irritating after 5 minutes :|
edt

Post by edt »

You mean those slated louvre things or the glass itself?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Plastic trim surround on interior with vents
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Also check the headrest is 'sitting right' in one of the height adjusters. I had a similar thing and driving me nuts and it was the passenger seat headrest!
edt

Post by edt »

Rob66 wrote:Also check the headrest is 'sitting right' in one of the height adjusters. I had a similar thing and driving me nuts and it was the passenger seat headrest!

Not the headrests :(

Drove in to work this morning.. pushed my head hard back against the headrest & the sound is REALLY NEAR my ears then.
Need to grab a pal hear & go for drive whilst he pushes & knocks trim behind me!
Moo

Post by Moo »

Check the hi level brake light. I had something similar, turned out to be the mounting screws for the light had come loose and was squeaking at speed. I was able to replicate the squeak when pressing/tapping on the light from outside the car. From memory there are 2 screws for it accessible outside the car but I seem to remember there were 2 inside the car the car that you could only get to by taking off the rear upper surround so could be those making the noise.
edt

Post by edt »

Moo wrote:Check the hi level brake light. I had something similar, turned out to be the mounting screws for the light had come loose and was squeaking at speed. I was able to replicate the squeak when pressing/tapping on the light from outside the car. From memory there are 2 screws for it accessible outside the car but I seem to remember there were 2 inside the car the car that you could only get to by taking off the rear upper surround so could be those making the noise.

That could well be it. Will take some screwdrivers into work & take a look next lunchtime
edt

Post by edt »

I'm a happy chappy. It was the offside trim strip next to the engine cover. It was screwed on tightly, but taking it off again last night I noticed it hadnt been pushed in correctly (there are tabs at the ends that need pushing home before screwing). I clipped the trim in correctly, did the screws back up & all good today.

All thanks to giving the car a good waxing! :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”