Horn doesn't work

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gaz

Horn doesn't work

Post by Gaz »

Hi all!

Been rebuilding my rev2 turbo in the garage for a few months now, and its almost ready for MOT, except for the horn which doesn't work. I have no clue about car electrics which doesn't help! When I press the horn the relay doesn't click, that's all I know. How can I troubleshoot and fix this?
Jaffacake

Re: Horn doesn't work

Post by Jaffacake »

i recently had the same problem mine turned out to be a disconnected wire in the steering wheel, pop the centre cap off and have a look at yours. if all seems ok, test the horn with a fused bit of wire to the battery if it works then you know its a fault in your wiring somewer and not a faulty horn. hope this helps. :D
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi

My lad (wilki) his horn packed in, once we looked the cable at the horn had corroded off the connection, worth a looksee

try checking there

it is under the slam panel at the front, if you have AC its tight but we managed using a mirror up through the front and a torch and skinned knuckles ha ha
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Also check the bolt on it, have you painted around there, as the bolt holding it onto the car is its earth iirc
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Hi Gaz, I have just bought my first MR2 and the horn wasn't working on there, I took the relay out cleaned the pins a bit (even if they don't look dirty) and then put it back in *Voila* try that.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Mine was the same as Wilkies, wires had corroded so i needed to replace the wiring, having aircon in the way didnt help but all ok now.

Rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”