[Mk2] [Turbo] Urgent Rev2 Turbo help!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Zentral

[Mk2] [Turbo] Urgent Rev2 Turbo help!!!

Post by Zentral »

Hi chaps,

I have a Rev 2 Turbo,

Its newly aquired, There is a MBC in situ, And according to the boost Gauge was running a firm 10 psi, That felt a bit sluggish, So I tweeked the MBC to get 12.5-13psi

There is a receipt for an HKS FCD Install, The car also has a 3" DP and stainless system & Filter..

No issues for the last few days, Its been very quick and faultless......

Upon driving home tonight, On full boost the car surged horribly as if I was out of fuel, Then The Engine management light came on, Off the boost it dissapears, But again on boost it surges and light appears???

I looked under the lid and cant see any obvious boost hose splits etc, The inlet hose that runs off of the piece 'Twin ceramic Turbo' has movement meaning a slightly untight Jubilee clamp...

Would that cause all this??

Or is the FCD non existant, where would I see this device? Would the symptoms described be if I was at Fuel cut point????

Heeellllppp!

Cheers
gazrev1tubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Urgent Rev2 Turbo help!!!

Post by gazrev1tubby »

You've hit fuel cut mate, 13 psi on a rev1/2 iirc.

You'll need to reset the ecu, by pulling the efi fuse for a minute or so, and then check to make sure the error code has cleared.

A Google search will explain how to check fault codes, with a paper clip, and will be quicker than me trying to explain :thumleft:

You'll also need to tweak the fcd to stop it happening again, or lower the boost level a bit :)
Zentral

Post by Zentral »

Cheers,

I have located the FCD, After reading plenty of info online, There was an Analysis on an MR2 using an HKS FCD, He in depth said after tweeking and trial and error decided on setting number 9 on the FCD dial, Fuel cut of then was 17psi,

My MBC is set to 13psi max, may have gone 'slightly' over lastnight with the cold crisp air, hence causing fuel cut..

Should I be right in saying thats safe, and the correct setting?

Regards, Chris.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I'm sure setting 9 is correct, I used to have a hks fcd myself, but since running rev3 management, I haven't needed one. And I really can't remember what mine was set to :oops:

13 psi is 'safe', most folk recommend not exceeding 1 bar (14.5) psi on a stock rev1 or 2 engine
Zentral

Post by Zentral »

Thanks,

I have tightened up a few loose hoses, The FCD seemed to already be on setting 9, So after a chat with Pacific I turned it to setting 10,

It now seems to be ok,

More testing will tell I guess.

Chris.

Return to “Mechanical”