Accident Damage (Repairable or Write-Off?)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Willenium

Accident Damage (Repairable or Write-Off?)

Post by Willenium »

Guys,

My bro had an accident today and the car is looking significantly crumpled. Do you know if damage to the frunk counts as structural damage? I've heard of other cars being written off for dented spare wheel wells but I'm not familiar with insurance considerations relating to the MR2. So far the bonnet hasn't been opened but the latch has been taken a fair way back so I'm expecting a fair bit of damage to the frunk area.

Hoping it's not the end of this car as I've spent many many hours on it but I accept that it might be :(
craig

Re: Accident Damage (Repairable or Write-Off?)

Post by craig »

:(

You need to remove the bonnet, headlight covers and bumper to see what you're dealing with.
andrewgt

Post by andrewgt »

+1
only thing is if you do that then can you claim off the insurance?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

difficult to say but due to the age of the car i bet its at least a cat d write off. Theres going to be almost a grands worth of paint doing from an insurance approved repairer.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Thanks for the swift reply. Getting the bumper off shouldn't be too tricky but getting the bonnet off may be more troublesome. It still drives so once I know where the insurance claim is heading I might get it over to Pacific Works and see what his thoughts are.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Yes I reckon there's probably a couple of grands worth of damage in total.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

if its easily repairable (not insurance companies rates too) might be worth buying it back, decent used panels might end up being back on the road for £300 (std bumper though)
craig

Post by craig »

You need to get the panels off to see whats what, before guessing.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Insurance companies will write it off. Seen cars with less damage wrote off :-(

Would need to be put on a jig i'd imagine if the latch has been moved considerably moved way back like you said.

Options are take the insurance pay off
get bro to pay for repairs - (if possible)
reshell it

This is why only i drive my car. I built it and if anyone's gonna smash it up it gonna be me LOL
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

You need to see if anything is bent. If it's just the bonnet, wings, bumper then don't go through the insurance and just buy the bits second hand.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

As has been said wait till you inspect properly before even thinking about it further. It wont help. Nor can I unfortunately but just wanted to say I hope it gets sorted and your pride and joy is back to best asap.

R.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

jasongtr wrote:if its easily repairable (not insurance companies rates too) might be worth buying it back, decent used panels might end up being back on the road for £300 (std bumper though)

Well hopefully it looks worse than it is. We do have another one of these bumpers, incidentally he trashed that too but we do still have it and it can be repaired which we were planning on doing anyway.

alanmr2turbo wrote:Insurance companies will write it off. Seen cars with less damage wrote off :-(

Would need to be put on a jig i'd imagine if the latch has been moved considerably moved way back like you said.

Options are take the insurance pay off
get bro to pay for repairs - (if possible)
reshell it

This is why only i drive my car. I built it and if anyone's gonna smash it up it gonna be me LOL

Yeah I saw it and immediately knew it would be an insurance write-off. If it can be repaired then he will cover all the costs.

If I could keep it to myself, I would. It's a shared car for us so we have to hand it over every now and then. Admittedly he's invested the most money, but I have invested the most time which makes me sad to see it this way.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i had a tennis ball sized dent in my FTO a good few years back, somebody went into the back of it, the guys cars was wrecked so it had to go through the insurance, they wrote the FTO off, sent me a cheque for the value of it, and let me keep the car, i popped the dent out by hand, i'm not even kidding. it was ridiculous that they wrote it off. completely pointless.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

sheppy wrote:i had a tennis ball sized dent in my FTO a good few years back, somebody went into the back of it, the guys cars was wrecked so it had to go through the insurance, they wrote the FTO off, sent me a cheque for the value of it, and let me keep the car, i popped the dent out by hand, i'm not even kidding. it was ridiculous that they wrote it off. completely pointless.

I think I'd need to be the Hulk to pop this out by hand lol.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Willenium wrote:
sheppy wrote:i had a tennis ball sized dent in my FTO a good few years back, somebody went into the back of it, the guys cars was wrecked so it had to go through the insurance, they wrote the FTO off, sent me a cheque for the value of it, and let me keep the car, i popped the dent out by hand, i'm not even kidding. it was ridiculous that they wrote it off. completely pointless.

hahaha, my point was more about the insurance writing the car off for basically no damage, are you having to go through the insurance with this??
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Willenium wrote:

hahaha, my point was more about the insurance writing the car off for basically no damage, are you having to go through the insurance with this??
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Most things are fixable but insurers decide what is economic and what is not.
If you dont need to involve insurers then get the bumper and bonnet off and take a look to see if the radiator is still straight and intact?

Looks like you have invested a lot of time and money in that car so probably worth repairing?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Noooooo! #-o

Hard luck will :( get your brother in for some more car control lessons I say!

Got a rev5 chassis! Lol
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Looking at the pictures the wings look straight and the damage all looks high so you might be lucky.

If thats the case most likely the damage may only be to the frunk bulkhead which can be bashed straight.

Any damage to the frunk lid hinges?

Best thing would be to buy it off the insurance anyway and either transfer the god bits to a new chasis or repair it.

Let me know if you want a hand looking at it I am in Herts
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

Looks like you might be lucky and get away with a new bonnet etc.

Some insurance companies will give you a hard time when it comes to getting the car back, and it's unlikely you will get the actual value of the car back.

Can you have it assessed for damage privately?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”