Wheel nuts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blue2

Wheel nuts

Post by blue2 »

Hey anyone have any spare wheel nuts? I need 4 as finally got rid of my locking ones after losing the key socket...for the last time.
Thanks
shinny

Re: Wheel nuts

Post by shinny »

You need to specify whether you have stock or aftermarket wheels :wink:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Aftermarket alloys but the nuts are the same. Thanks
shinny

Post by shinny »

blue2 wrote:Aftermarket alloys but the nuts are the same. Thanks

No, the nuts are not the same between stock and aftermarket alloys... unless you've got some pretty rare alloys.

Standard:

Aftermarket:
craig

Post by craig »

Yep, as Shinny says, stock nuts are flat bottom, and aftermarket are tapered.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I did not know that #-o Mine are the standard ones, but my alloys are quite rare, custom team dynamics. Thanks for the info.
craig

Post by craig »

blue2 wrote:I did not know that #-o Mine are the standard ones, but my alloys are quite rare, custom team dynamics. Thanks for the info.

Are your wheel nut bore seats tapered or flat? You might have the wrong nuts fitted at present.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I have no idea, id have to check. The wheels were new and didnt come with any wheel nuts so Im assuming theyre ok. Theyve been on the car for since 2008 and been fine...touch wood! Had locking wheelnuts fitted and lost the key so I had the garage drill them out. Now im in need of 4 standard ones.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Having said that Ive just looked at one of the locking wheel nuts and its tapered. But it was on the car when I bought it with stock wheels.
shinny

Post by shinny »

blue2 wrote:I have no idea, id have to check. The wheels were new and didnt come with any wheel nuts so Im assuming theyre ok. Theyve been on the car for since 2008 and been fine...touch wood! Had locking wheelnuts fitted and lost the key so I had the garage drill them out. Now im in need of 4 standard ones.

I'd be very surprised if Team Dynamics wheels were using standard Toyota seats for their nuts.

Also, why would a wheel come with nuts? There are two different threads commonly used on wheel nuts and lots of cars use bolts instead of nuts. The wheel manufacturer isn't going to supply 20 of each type (so that's 80 odd nuts and bolts) free with the wheels.

Yes, the wrong nut seat will; keep your wheel on the hub, but it's best to have the right part to avoid damage to the wheel. Besides, if you do need aftermarket nuts then you can buy ones that are lighter and look better, which is a double win :thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Im really not sure Ill have to have a check but the locking one which is no longer on the car is tapered so Im thinking that the remaining ones may in fact be aftermarket. :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”