[Mk2] [Generic] what would be the ultimate suspension/chassis setup

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

[Mk2] [Generic] what would be the ultimate suspension/chassis setup

Post by jasongtr »

im not saying id go this far but was just wondering what the best setup would be.

Mainly road use (but not a daily driver)
occasional track days

from what i can tell these are the areas that need sorting (some obvious) if i have anything wrong or have forgot anything then chip in.

What im asking is the brands and equipment to use

coilovers or struts/springs combo
antiroll bars (although i have been advised by a motorsport company unless an out and out track/race car not to bother)
polybushes (inc antiroll bars and steering rack)
front caster arms
roll centre adjusters (i think thats what they are called)
tyres (currently have yoko ad08)
wheel spacers (10mm ish to increase track width)
wheel size (currently have 16" split rims 7" front / 8" rear)
lightweight calipers - removing some unsprung weight

anything else ?
matt-mr2

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] what would be the ultimate suspension/chassis setup

Post by matt-mr2 »

Chassis bracing (strut braces , under braces ) to stop flex?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ah yes missed them, cheers
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Upper strut braces and aftermarket topmounts for the coilies :thumleft:
the bear1986

Post by the bear1986 »

Sorry to hijack but where would be the best place to buy all of these?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

hardly a hijack mate nobody has mentioned any brands yet anyway
synXero

Post by synXero »

I suspect most of what these guys provide might be worth investigating.

http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/index ... er=product

I heard their front strut towers brace impacts the bonnet lid though, such that you have to remove material from the bonnet structure. Sounds a bit overkill to me, to fit strut brace.

I suspect under body braces do more than strut braces do personally.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Highly recommended for spirited occassional road use:

Eibach Pro Springs (has to be the progressive type)
Koni adjustable inserts
Whiteline/TRD Ardjustable ARBs - Makes massive difference to the feel despite what you've been told Jason.
Prothane Polybushes - although I have had good reports about Proflex but can't comment but Polybushing is also an noticeably effective mod.

Standard droplinks are fine for road use and coillies are ideally made for track but again, plenty of good reports on the forums.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

what about majority spirited road use
shinny

Post by shinny »

Here comes one of those brilliant threads where everyone lists the mods they have, saying they're "best" based on their own entirely subjective preferences with no real concept of how "best" is measured anyhow.
Marf

Post by Marf »

My opinion for a majority fast road car would be stock dampers, slightly lowered springs, poly bushes all round and thicker anti roll bars.

Oh and decent tyres, but you already have those ;)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

needs new rears though mate, i cant seem to stop the ar5e end coming out :evil:
Marf

Post by Marf »

lol heavy right foot! Shouldn't be geo related, that was done in November :)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

oh yes its definately a heavy right foot, it does have something wrong on the nsr wheel though, def a bush or balljoint gone, don't think its a wheel bearing as there's only play at 3-9pm on the clock face not at 6-12
synXero

Post by synXero »

shinny wrote:Here comes one of those brilliant threads where everyone lists the mods they have, saying they're "best" based on their own entirely subjective preferences with no real concept of how "best" is measured anyhow.

You gave a good analysis of headlight solutions recently. Have you any ability to provide a similar insight into suspension setups?

I can directly compare very few things myself, sadly, due to making lots of changes intermittently over time. I can compare Apex 30mm drop springs and stock springs on stock shocks. They are very comparable. Definitely too floaty and bouncy for track but excellent for visuals and road use.

I can compare 15s with 16s with 17s on stock shocks and springs, but not directly because tyre setups have varied hugely as have alloy widths.

It's a difficult business to get a factual comparison.
shinny

Post by shinny »

That's half my point - very few of us can say we've compared many things in isolation. Also, things like geometry and tyres make huge differences to how a car feels, irrespective of other components, so comparing two cars with different setups isn't necessarily unless they're running the same geo and tyres. Comparing coilovers is also tricky as they can have different rate springs fitted and / or have the shocks set to different stiffness. I have all kinds of suspension mods on my car and tell tell you what each one does in theory, but in practice, they were all fitted together and then the geometry was done, so I couldn't remotely tell you what each one felt like individually.

The other half to my point was that what one person likes, another one doesn't. For anyone who follows F1, think of the differences in car setup between Button and Hamilton at McLaren last year. Some people like cars that understeer, some prefer oversteer... some are happy to compromise comfort for the best handling over a smooth road while other would rather have softer suspension which might give better handling on bumpier road, but lose out on a really nicely surfaced one. There is no "one size fits all" solution, hence the question of what's "best" is meaningless, IMHO, without further qualification of driving style, required comfort level and the nature of the roads being driven.

(Thanks, BTW)
shinny

Post by shinny »

OK, this is what I have, and why:

Coilovers: BCs
good value for money, adjustable lower mounts, non-adjustable droplink mounts, shock adjustment not in a stupid place unlike the HSDs

Wheels: 17" TE37s with Falken 452s for road, 15" Enkei RP01s with R888s for track
17s look awesome, but the lighter 15" wheels will be better for performance, R888s grip and grip and grip

ARBs: Whiteline
AFAIK only adjustable ARBs on the market; potentially the stiffest too

RCAs: Pheonix Power
make is irrelevant - fitted to counteract the inversion of compression camber change on significantly lowered cars

Polybushes: Fitted by previous owner

My car has a very trigger happy clutch LSD in the gearbox, so tends to scrub wide (understeer) unless I'm being a bit spirited, at which point the weight shifts around and the car transitions to oversteer. I love it, but it does mean I've tailor my ARB and geo setup to dial out understeer, particularly on turn in (hence I run toe-out at the front, not the normal toe-in). I also don't mind the car wanting to tramline when driving the rutted lane 1 of a motorway because I've traded away an easy cruise for more agrressive fast road / track performance.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

excellent, thats the sort of info id like of various owners, what they have and why.

i have a set of polybushes to go on.

i recently bought a car to break with D2 coil overs, im not 100% convinced about putting coilovers on as they could possibly be too hard, that i like the fact it can be corner weighted like my old rev3 turbo which had tein super streets and i did like the way that handled.

I know the SW20 will never be the best handling car but i know theres a fair bit that can be done to improve it, im not looking to strip it out to improve the handling - i can think of nothing worse in fact having owned a totally stripped out mk2 golf - for the track no problem, for the road too harsh
shinny

Post by shinny »

With coilovers, I would imagine spring rate and damper settings are more important than make. That said, life was great when I fitted my BCs because they rode really well, with no knocks or pings or anything... made me realise I'd been putting up with c**p from my old KSport coilies :oops:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

well ill have nothing to lose with fitting them and if i dont like them ill sell them, would take an hour to fit them and the same to change back if they are too harsh

Return to “Modifications”