New engine, drove 80 miles, bottom end failure and dash full of warning lights.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Groves

New engine, drove 80 miles, bottom end failure and dash full of warning lights.

Post by Groves »

So as you all know, after 4 days of buying I needed a new engine due to bottom end failure, and the head being worn. I now have a recipt for £1460, which included engine, clutch, flywheel, belts etc etc
I got the car back around 3 weeks ago, and 10 of those days I was away and didnt use the car. The car has done 80 miles on new engine which inludes the 38 mile trip home, and I noticed the same knocking as the last engine, lots of smoke, stuggling to start, using lot of water and squeeling belt and a fan knocking when ingition is on.
So today I filled the water agian, and started it up, to find 3 warning lights on. I know one is battery, what are the other two? One looks like a fan warning light, the other is a box with heat waves?

Where do I stand, I have been guaranteed it was perfect when left the garage, compression tested and water tested. But I have been driving very steady as I am well aware the engine has to been worn in. Surely this was a faulty engine?

I actully hate this car with a passion and is the very worst car ive had. Absolutly fuming!

Rev5GT

Re: New engine, drove 80 miles, bottom end failure and dash full of warning lights.

Post by Rev5GT »

Sorry to hear that news - That really is bad luck..!
The lights could be triggerred by a faulty battery / alternator..?

Rash
synXero

Re: New engine, drove 80 miles, bottom end failure and dash full of warning lights.

Post by synXero »

Wow that is phenomenally bad luck.

Who did your rebuild? Or less specifically, so as not to tarnish names, was it someone who knows mr2s well?

From what you've written of their work here, and assuming their work is competent, the only two big things I notice are cooling and charging systems I guess. Could there be a bu88ered wire/ground leading to a faulty alternator circuit? That presents dash board lights aplenty. Also, what revision is the engine? Peter Gidden has highlighted an issue with a wire in Rev2 (I believe) engine alternators. I can't really imagine how the cooling system would've caused this... You'd have seen your engine cook. Mind you given your smoke... What colour was it?? The knocking is bizarre as well - was the engine new as you suggest or was it your old one rebuilt? A recording of the knocking would help but from what I've seen, knocking = engine is a goner.

My naive estimation based on what you've written is a fault in the charging circuit. I hope this all gets sorted for you easy enough.

You should be able to discuss this with the garage and have it remedied by them. Of course even the best guys here can't really diagnose without examining the car.
Last edited by synXero on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

When the alternator goes it usually sets off loads of dashboard lights.

If your engine is smoking and sounds bad I would get it back to whoever did the work to your car mate.

Hope your luck turns because you really have been unlucky :thumleft:
No 2 :(
moscoworbust

Post by moscoworbust »

Groves wrote:I noticed the same knocking as the last engine, lots of smoke, stuggling to start, using lot of water and squeeling belt and a fan knocking when ingition is on.

This is scary. I imagine they made some serious mistakes
Groves

Post by Groves »

Yes he knows his mr2s.

The engine is a rev2. I was wondering about the squeeling belt, may not be charging the battery, explaining the battery light, and not powering fans, meaning that light is on too, but what is the other light?

And im not entirely concerned about the lights, Im more xxxxx off that it sounds light bottom end failure again?
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

take it back asap, the clocks prove the millage that is rediculous sounds like the alt belt is loose and not charging properly which is why its squeeling and not starting well it would also explain the lights. These cars are a nightmare the bleed after getting air in the cooling system but can you just clairify what work was done?
Harold

Post by Harold »

I'd be taking it back and ensuring that they fixed it, you've probably been the most unlucky mr2 owner I've read about, sorry to hear about your problems bud.
Groves

Post by Groves »

Replace engine with good used tested 1992 Rev2 3SGTE complete engine.
(Swapping over aftermarket blitz turbo, HKS bov, Berk downpipe from old engine onto replacement engine.)
Genuine Toyota timing belt & water pump.
New gaskets.
6 pluck ceramic clutch disc.
Lightened flywheel.
Filters and oil.
Drive shafts.
And Engine Mounts
Maybe more I have forgotten.

Current modifications;
Blitz KKK Turbo which is running standered pressure, as turbo and avcr aint plumbed in.
HKS BOV (which is now giving a diffrent sound)
Berk Down Pip
Mongoose Exhaust
Alloy Radiator
Intercooler
Catch Tank
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cat temp warning light mate.

Which won't matter if you have a decat.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

right so the used engine, was it tested and checked before?
Groves

Post by Groves »

Yes, compression tested and water leak tested.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

right, can i describe the noise? and could you film it?
moscoworbust

Post by moscoworbust »

4ndee wrote:right, can i describe the noise? and could you film it?

do this, when i filmed my issue, i got a lot more help.

All fixed now.
Groves

Post by Groves »

This is the video I made from the last engine. So diffrent engine exact same noise apart from now I have belt squeel too. Rather hard to hear over exhast system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UTI9Q3yTQ
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Was it a business or an individual you bought it from? If its a business you may have protection under s14 of sale of goods act 88. If its a person then you have no real protection as to the quality of the engine.

My own personal non legal non binding advice would be to make a firm telephone call to them, try and sort it amicably. If they refuse to fix/refund you then you need legal advice and may need to go down the stiff letter route and small claims for damages. You can speak to CAB but if you want a hand finding a good local brief let me know as we have contacts.

Experience: trainee lawyer with big firm (Pinsent Masons) and been royally xxxxx over by garages since 2006.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Cant hear. A possibility is exhaust manifold. When they blow sounds like a tick knocking noise.

Does the noise change with revs?
synXero

Post by synXero »

That sounds 100% internal engine failure to me.

Take it back.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Listened again. Sounds like top end rattle :-k does it run ok? Lumpy missing?
Groves

Post by Groves »

Well when I took the car to the garage with the original enigne, they stright away said it was bottom end failure. Then new engine dropped in, and its was only when I was under the bonnet checking the water, I heard the dreaded noise again.
The noise is at its worst at 2krpm, if you rev any more the exhaust drownds the noise out.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”