Mk1 based buggy - help required

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

russgregg

Mk1 based buggy - help required

Post by russgregg »

Hiya, i've been building a buggy using the mechanicals from my 86 mk1 which succumbed to a severe case of rust. I'm now getting to the stage where i'm ready to run the engine up and check it over before i tidy the loom up and do the final welding before cleaning, painting and assembly.

The problem is that it's now about 2-3 years since i removed the engine from the car and i don't remember all the loom connections so i'm hoping somebody can let me know where some of these go:

images
These 2 plugs are from the same section of loom as the distributor and the engine bay fan but i can't see a home for them.

images
I think this is unused but i'm not sure; it's just beside the ECU.

upload photos
Any ideas?

upload pics
Here is a pic of the buggy just to give you a basic idea of what i'm doing and don't worry the car really was beyond any reasonable repair!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
boondougal

Re: Mk1 based buggy - help required

Post by boondougal »

i'm not confident i know so i'll not confuse things but i just want to say that i love the build... very ambitious project. Pretty sure the peeps at TB would love to see this one.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

1st pic one will be for the oil pressure sensor (brass mushroom shaped thing) it will have a cut out to slide over the end of the sensor. The other looks like the water temp sensor but that's on the other side of the engine (same end). Both are for the gauge cluster.

2nd pic is the connector for the rear lights I think.

3rd pic is an unused one as you suspect.

Great looking project, look forward to some vids. :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

1. Oil pressure switch and a spare unused, oil pressure one is Y/B
2. N1 connector, you need the other side of this that is still on the cars chassis plus 6" of wire or cut the wires off this plug one at a time and wire it up with your own connectors, the engine will not run unless you wire this plug up. I have wired many a Mk1 based kit car up via email, so drop me a mail [email protected] and i'll help you get it running very easily.
3. Unused.

You need to share this on Twobrutal, better catered for the help you need, a guy called Makoto is doing exactly the same thing, i got his running via email.
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

Is the number 3 not the signal cable for the Economy meter in the dashboard?
I think it is connecter to a vaccuum sensor on my car. When connected to ground the green light in dash goes yellow.
But I guess you won't need it in the buggy! :wink:
MartG

Post by MartG »

FrankBelgium wrote:Is the number 3 not the signal cable for the Economy meter in the dashboard?

Not fitted to UK cars :wink:
russgregg

Post by russgregg »

Thanks very much guys for the replies and thanks for suggesting TB.

Paul, appreciate the help, i'll get an email through to you later.

Here's a couple of other pics for anybody that's interested; there's a lot of welding/tidying/bracing needing done on the frame yet but i want to run the engine up and sort the loom next so i can place all the lines and weld in brackets etc.
The goal is to build it on as small a budget as possible, all i've bought aside from the steel, (which i had anyway), is harnesses, steering boss, steering wheel, radiator, coolant hose, brake pipe and some laser cut strut tops.

free image hosting

upload foto
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Id watch those harness mounting points. Might be worth notching and welding in a new bar going between, to lessen the angle of the belts.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
russgregg

Post by russgregg »

Hi again, thought i'd drop in a quick update and say thanks for all the help so far, (especially to Paul Woods).

Buggy is up and rolling. The engine has run briefly to make sure it would and we're now into the final assembly and setup. Hope to have it ready to shake down by August

how to use print screen

image hosting flickr
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Great project :thumleft:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Love the build.

Will it be getting big tall knobbly tyres?

Currently ground clearance looks a bit limited, large section tyres would I suspect be the easiest way to resolve that issue.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Yes, larger diameter wheels with high profile tyres perhaps :-k
russgregg

Post by russgregg »

Thanks guys, there's a lot of things that will need tweaking and the wheel/tyre/ride height is certainly one of them. I'm not sure where it'll get used most. If it's on the loose then i'll probably put a set of gravel tyres on it and maybe put a set of fresh springs in it which should lift it a few mm.
I had also thought of making spacers to go in at the strut tops.
Actually on that note; is anybody here using adjustable top mounts? I was considering them for some extra setup flexibility.

I'll also probably end up welding the diff if it's going to be primarily used off the grippy stuff.

Here's some more pics from the build.

grab screenshot

tool to take screen snapshot
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

MartG wrote:
FrankBelgium wrote:Is the number 3 not the signal cable for the Economy meter in the dashboard?

Not fitted to UK cars :wink:

As a fellow Belgian MR2 owner, this is correcT.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”