[Mk2] [Turbo] How long to warm a car up?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rixx

[Mk2] [Turbo] How long to warm a car up?

Post by Rixx »

Hi all - My tubby is highly modified and I'm wondering for how long I should warm my car up every morning before driving it?

Presently, I wait until my temp gauge hits the half way mark (normal running temp) - but is this really necessary?

My key concern is to avoid engine damage.

Cheers

Rixx
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How long to warm a car up?

Post by craig »

No need, just keep the revs below 3K until warmed up and get an oil temp gauge.

I wouldn't use a water temp gauge to gauge when the engine is up to temp.
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Thanks for the feedback. Does this mean that I can start driving straight away (as long as I stay below 3k revs)?

Does this cause no damage to the engine at all?

Cheers
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

You shouldn't let the engine heat up at a stand still. Get in and drive it as stated under 3k revs until normal temp
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Yeah leaving a car to warm up via idle isn't really the best way at all, even more so in the cold weather. You can get bore wash because the ECU is running the engine much richer in order to bring the temperature up. Personally I'd do (and indeed do) as Red suggested and drive away within a few seconds of start up and keep the revs/load on the engine low.
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

That's great to hear - and something my neighbours are going to strongly appreciate!

Separately but somewhat related - for how long do you leave your engine running after driving (re. turbo wind down)?
craig

Post by craig »

Rixx wrote:That's great to hear - and something my neighbours are going to strongly appreciate!

Separately but somewhat related - for how long do you leave your engine running after driving (re. turbo wind down)?

Again, after a hard run/boost just drive off boost for 5 mins or so, get home and switch off.

No point in turbo timers imo, just a gimmick.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

As said keep below 3k and be light with the throttle for at least the first 10mins of driving.
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Thanks for the responses fellas. I guess I've been OTT with it.

Cheers Red for your thoughts on the turbo timer..
ELS

Post by ELS »

Great info here chaps, a thought that crosses a lot of people's minds from time to time. :thumleft:
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I drive normally but stay out of boost/heavy engine load until oil temp is at 80 deg C. This is roughly 4-5 minutes after standard water temp gauge is up to the normal position.

As said no need for a cooldown/turbotimer unless you reverse into your garage at 1bar :clap:

126k miles, no BOV, original turbo, no shaft play, no oil usage.
craig

Post by craig »

asdrewq wrote:

As said no need for a cooldown/turbotimer unless you reverse into your garage at 1bar :clap:

If you did that, the turbo cool down time would be the last of your worries :lol: :lol:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Instead of stopping and letting the car tick over for 5 minutes just take the last couple of miles of your journey steady and there won't be a need to let everything cool from red hot :)
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Marf

Post by Marf »

If it's that highly modified that you're worried about tanning it before the car is warm then ignore the water temperature gauge, fit an oil temp gauge and only start to use high revs and big boost when the oil's warm, i.e. above 80c.

You'll find that this takes anywhere between 5-15 minutes longer than water, depending on the outside temperature.

And yeah, don't sit there with the car idling, get moving ASAP so the oil pressure gets up and everything starts to get a nice coat of oil. Not only that but sitting with it idling will take much longer to warm up. The longer it takes the oil to get up to temp the more wear you get.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Cheers for the info - found this very helpful (and so will my neighbours) 8)

Return to “Modifications”