Issue with private plate...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

riot68

Issue with private plate...

Post by riot68 »

Am looking at buying a turbo, seen one I like and was going to go view, however got my good friend to run and hpi first and it comes back as a cat C write off.

So I ask the guy and he says that the private plate used to be on a Celica that was written off then he put the plate on the 2, the HPI check shows all the details of the 2, well doesn't actually say MR2 anywhere but the chassis number starts SW20 and it says the colour of the 2. the rest 2 door toyota 2.0 could be either, then at the bottom is shows the write off info and does say Celica GT, but not the colour or any other info and I know the registration process on import records things wrongly.

The guys seems genuine and has sent pics of the written off Celica with the plate on and says he has paperwork relating to it all.

So question is do I trust him and buy and then try and sort it, or not, anyone heard of this before or better yet had experience of sorting it if it is a genuine mistake in the data recorded.

Any help appreciated... (btw hope that all makes sense)...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Issue with private plate...

Post by Peter Gidden »

If you did a full HPI test, IIRC, you can call HPI and they will clarify source of information.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Thanks Peter, my fried works for an auction house and he did it through their account so don't know if I could, maybe he could but was hoping to view on Sunday and I bet they're not open tomorrow...

riot68.com
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Save yourself some grief and do a check, maybe my car check or similar. They can discern between plate history and car history.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Just out of interest is there any update with this?
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
riot68

Post by riot68 »

the guy has rung the DVLA and they are sorting it, not looking at the car now though, he wants too much money for it...

riot68.com
stealth

Post by stealth »

Hey,

I appreciate James not stating this is about my car but I've got nothing to hide so I thought I'd update you guys.

I had a personal plate on Celica GT, when I got my MR2 I gave the Celica to the Mrs. but never bothered changing the plate over.

She wrote the Celica off in 2010 and I transferred the plate over to the MR2. Then never thought any more of it until James said he did a check and asked me about the CatB write off.

I did my own check using the HPI site and came back with the same info. It said it was a 2L yellow Toyota. And further down said Celica GT. So basically when I transferred the plate the info was never updated correctly.

So I phoned HPI and they have now corrected it. I have both reports to show people if anyone is interested in the car.

I think the price of the car reflects the fact it is a good rust free example. OK so you can get cheaper ones but you get what you pay for. (not saying every cheaper car is a shed) I think every seller has a price they are willing to let their pride and joy go for. I think my price shows how reluctant I am to sell it. But anyone interested in a mint car is welcome to look at it and make an offer.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Glad that hpi and dvla were willing to sort it out, shows how crap their database can be. Good luck with the sale...

riot68.com
stealth

Post by stealth »

Thanks,

Yeah I thought that was going to be the end of that car, thankfully its all sorted now though
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Excellent, cool that it got sorted and so quickly...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”